First try with clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
My M520s arrived this morning, so I fitted them to my bike and had a short run around the car park here... didn't fall off but felt very insecure in them.

As I have a sponsored ride tomorrow, I put the Wellgo flats back on. I will have another go when I next go to Thetford Forest High-Lodge Centre as theres a big grassy picnic area there :blush:

l7w.png

taffref

had those pedals for about 2 months now - it does get easier and your confidence will grow.

I did fall off - first time out !!!

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
taffref said:
had those pedals for about 2 months now - it does get easier and your confidence will grow.

I did fall off - first time out !!!

Thanks - They are nice to use and I think once I try a few hours of unclipping and low-speed riding, i will be happier :blush:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've had 520's for a month or two now. Not had any problems. But I did have, around, 30 years with clips and straps. If you can get out of straps you get out of clipless. I see you have that platforms for the pedals so why not stick with them on your sponsored ride and ride on the platform flats when you feel uncomfortable, maybe in traffic or when blocked in by other riders.

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
guitarpete247 said:
I've had 520's for a month or two now. Not had any problems. But I did have, around, 30 years with clips and straps. If you can get out of straps you get out of clipless. I see you have that platforms for the pedals so why not stick with them on your sponsored ride and ride on the platform flats when you feel uncomfortable, maybe in traffic or when blocked in by other riders.

clipless is totally new to me, so I guess it will take a bit longer for me to feel confident in using them :wahhey:

Those platforms arent as nice to ride on as my old Wellgos so ive put them back on for this weekend... I will put the 520s back on during the week I think and have another play with them :shy:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Call me a chicken - but I thought I'd wait until winter when I get a turbotrainer - to learn to use SPDs :wahhey:

Martin

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
If you turn down the tension setting it is easier to unclip.
The only problem I have had was when I got my first pair of SPD's for the MTB and didn't have the cleats screwed in firm enough. I was not sure I had them in the correct place so had them tight but not fully tight.
I unclipped at on point on the ride, practicing, and must have lost a cleat bolt at this point. A little later I twisted foot to get out but nothing happened, foot stayed attached. I always put my left foot down and this was the foot that stayed attached. I slowly rolled to my left onto a grass bank:blush:.
I had to remove shoe, take pedal off to remove shoe from pedal and ride home trying not to clip in again on my way back.

guitarpete247 said:

That is true.

I had the tension in mine set loosely for the first few rides....Just as well....

Twice I have fallen, only for my foot to pop out of the peddle in time to save myself.

Have started to tighten the tension as I am getting more used to them :wahhey:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll soon be dialling up the tension once used to them though....

My XT SPD's (used for commuting) are no-where near as high a tension of my Look road pedals..... bit of a shock today on my 'weekend ride' from a usual commute....hard work un-clipping...

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I might put the platforms back on mine for the commute, as I leave the bike at the station and head to work, so can't go into meetings in my cycling shoes.
What is the benifits of tightening the bolts?

Dingerjsc

Fell off this week for the first time after proclaiming how easy my month old pedals were to use!
Stopped at a junction completely off balance and ended up on the tarmac! No one would have noticed until a woman in an orange Daewoo Matiz shouted across the street "do you need help son"

Rebel Ian

guitarpete247 said:

I use different tension settings on my right foot to my left. My right foot, which stays in all the time unless I'm off the bike, is much tighter than the left. I haven't had a problem yet riding when the left has unclipped accidentally.

Helly79

Dingerjsc said:
Fell off this week for the first time after proclaiming how easy my month old pedals were to use!
Stopped at a junction completely off balance and ended up on the tarmac! No one would have noticed until a woman in an orange Daewoo Matiz shouted across the street "do you need help son"

That was nice, bless her not often you get some asking if you are ok. :becool:

Top Bottom