First TT bike, feels strange!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I couldn't get used to the aero section of the bars on my TT bike. so ended up flogging them off and fitting reversed interrupter levers as main brakes so I could keep the bar-end shifters and run cables under the bar tape. The only PITA now, is the rear wheel will not come out (or go back in) with the tyre inflated but I only really used mine for fast 10-15 mile blasts when the mood took me, but I was slowly being persuaded to enter events as a veteran (over 50) until my fall.
I'll have to see what I can do after (if) I recover but it'd be nice to get on my favourite bike again (its the 653 frameset bike)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To be fair, I find clip-on bars on a road bike to be even more unstable than riding a dedicated TT bike.

That is as you would expect as TT bike geometry is designed to be stable with weight further forward (slacker head tube angle, greater fork rake etc). Clip-on's on a road bike produce a weight distribution different to the purpose they were designed for.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I couldn't get used to the aero section of the bars on my TT bike. so ended up flogging them off and fitting reversed interrupter levers as main brakes so I could keep the bar-end shifters and run cables under the bar tape. The only PITA now, is the rear wheel will not come out (or go back in) with the tyre inflated but I only really used mine for fast 10-15 mile blasts when the mood took me, but I was slowly being persuaded to enter events as a veteran (over 50) until my fall.
I'll have to see what I can do after (if) I recover but it'd be nice to get on my favourite bike again (its the 653 frameset bike)
You fell?:eek:

What happened? Hope you were ok

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Broken Femur, repaired with an intermeduliary nail (bloody great Titanium rod + a few screws) then recently that removed and a bigger one fitted, seems to be doing the trick this time.
Hence the trike. :cycle::giggle:

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
Keep riding it, everybody is different but for me I would ride it on the road instead of the turbo, I can ride for hours in TT position on the road but on the turbo 10-15 minutes..

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Keep riding it, everybody is different but for me I would ride it on the road instead of the turbo, I can ride for hours in TT position on the road but on the turbo 10-15 minutes..
Started out riding it to work this morning, got a p**cture 3 miles in, had to go back home because of the tubeless tyres to change bikes and ended up 2 hours late for work!!!!

Not impressed so far:banghead:

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
my newbie top tip which worked for me....

put one arm on tt bars in tt position and keep one covering the brake/hoods, ride a few mins, then swap arms. it took me about 20 mins to get the confidence i needed not to poop myself everytime i tried to get onto tt bars fully. my next ride i was flying into the tt's and now have no issues at all.

the hardest part for me was the mental block of not being near the brakes, soon as i got past that had no probs.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.

put one arm on tt bars in tt position and keep one covering the brake/hoods, ride a few mins, then swap arms. it took me about 20 mins to get the confidence i needed not to poop myself everytime i tried to get onto tt bars fully. my next ride i was flying into the tt's and now have no issues at all.

the hardest part for me was the mental block of not being near the brakes, soon as i got past that had no probs.

Still do this sometimes if I'm a little unsure of the traffic conditions ahead or just how good the road surface is.

gds58

Über Member
Started out riding it to work this morning, got a p**cture 3 miles in, had to go back home because of the tubeless tyres to change bikes and ended up 2 hours late for work!!!!

Not impressed so far:banghead:

I know this is slightly off topic, but it sounds like you're not using any sealant fluid in your tubeless tyres. If you put some in (suggest 'STANS NO TUBES') you won't even know that you've had a puncture as it instantly seals small punctures with only a tiny loss of pressure (couple of PSI) The sealant doesn't affect the ride feel and advantage of tubeless tyres either so it's a win win situation.

gds58

Über Member
Further to my above post. If you're running tubeless tyres, why not carry a spare inner tube with you so that if you get a puncture that won't 'self repair' you can then simply put a tube in gas it up and away you go in three or four minutes!

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
+1 to the above.
A little daft to run with tubeless tyres on a commute without either the sealant or a spare tyre. :stop: ^_^

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Interesting, I`ll give that a go, thanks:thumbsup:

Top Bottom