First TT bike, feels strange!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

As per the title, after nearly 15 years of cycling I`ve bought a Felt TT bike, as I always enjoyed doing TT`s on my normal road bike.

I took it out for a ride around the town on Saturday afternoon for a 3-4 mile test ride, and thought I was going to die!:eek:

What a strange riding position? I kept thinking I was going to tip over. I know I`ll get used to it with practice but did anybody else who took it up find the same thing? I don`t want to make myself look a muppet! Luckily I have the winter to get the hang of it before the next season

Hip Priest

Veteran
Have you got a turbo? Perhaps spend some time on that getting used to the position. And good luck!

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Just keep riding it, you'll get used to it.

First couple of times I rode my Planet X, I averaged about 14mph! so precarious did it feel.

Three things I've noticed as a novice:

1. Position feels unnatural and awkward without lots of practice,
2. For me, being more aero means compromising on power, mainly because I find it much more difficult to control my breathing in a tuck position. Still just as quick on a road bike on training runs.
3. Leg muscles need time to adapt to the new position.

For these reasons, I've converted an old aluminium Trek into a winter TT trainer with the option of mudguards!

Peculiar looking beast, but all my own work, and I'm exceedingly proud of it!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What felt wierd? Have you not been using clip-on bars on your road bike?

If you have but have now changed to a TT bike, if it feels unstable (particularly if it feels like it is going to tip over forwards), chances are your position is bad!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

If you have but have now changed to a TT bike, if it feels unstable (particularly if it feels like it is going to tip over forwards), chances are your position is bad!
Balancing felt very weird, kept reaching for the outer bars in a panic! No not been using clip on bars on my normal bike, aero bars are totally new to me

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I`m going to keep at it for a few weeks to see what happens, I`ll be having a bike fit done on it too, so at least I`ll know it`s set up correctly

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

My profile photo was taken on a 25TT about 6 months ago, as you can see just a normal bike, that`s all I`ve used until now!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I`m going to keep at it for a few weeks to see what happens, I`ll be having a bike fit done on it too, so at least I`ll know it`s set up correctly

Personally, I'd hold off an a bike fit on a TT bike. I am not at all convinced many fitters can even ball park a rider on a TT bike, never mind the fact you can't see aero or measure it with a ruler! I've read loads of garbage about time trial positions too, seems to be an obsession with flat backs, pushing the saddle right forward and getting as low as your bike and flexibility will allow at the front (hence loads of people hanging right over the front end of their bikes and then not being able to ride in a straight line)... I became 15% more aero by raising the front end about 4cm!

Last edited:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.

To be fair, I find clip-on bars on a road bike to be even more unstable than riding a dedicated TT bike.

Top Bottom