First video from the raffled camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

It's not very interesting - just the trip to drop off my Son at nursery. Unfortunately I managed to screw up taking a video for the rest of my journey to work, so it's just this.

The video is sped up by a factor of four, and if you're wondering, the bit where I stop in the middle is because I realised I had forgotten to attach the failsafe leash to the bike. :ohmy:

I'm afraid it's just a .wmv file - there seems to be something at work that interferes with uploading stuff to YouTube.

The Nursery Run

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Glad you mentioned it was recorded on 4X !!!

bonj2

PrettyboyTim said:
It's not very interesting - just the trip to drop off my Son at nursery. Unfortunately I managed to screw up taking a video for the rest of my journey to work, so it's just this.

The video is sped up by a factor of four, and if you're wondering, the bit where I stop in the middle is because I realised I had forgotten to attach the failsafe leash to the bike. :ohmy:

I'm afraid it's just a .wmv file - there seems to be something at work that interferes with uploading stuff to YouTube.

The Nursery Run

nice video :biggrin:
(cringed slightly when that dustbin lorry appeared to be coming straight at you with no room on the left, but then you went round it...)

I think like I did at first you've got it angled ever so slightly too far upwards, which means it's taking in too much light which is why in some places the contrast isn't too great - if you notice the difference between when there's buildings and trees ahead the colours are a lot better.

oh and if you're having problems with youtube, I just always click the 'Having problems with the uploader?' link. They use a fancy ActiveX control thingy to do the upload but they thankfully accept that it might not always work so provide a link that enables you to use a bog standard html file upload control. You just have to remember not to refresh the page or click stop while it's doing it.

Great stuff Tim!! It takes a bit of practice to get the angle right and it makes a difference. It generally films better on slighty grey days!

Gota rush. At home with the kids at the moment!

Elmer Fudd

Not this 4X !!!!

UK-Castlemaine_50-02_69p.JPG

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

bonj said:
nice video :rolleyes:
(cringed slightly when that dustbin lorry appeared to be coming straight at you with no room on the left, but then you went round it...)

In real life at normal speed it wasn't a problem. You can't really tell in the video, but as soon as it was round the corner it stopped. I had plenty of time to check behind me, pull out, check that the road behind it was clear and pass it.

Oh, and I was thinking it would be a good idea to fit a filter to it, so that the top 1/4 - 1/3 of the screen was darkened.

Elmer Fudd

PrettyboyTim said:
In real life at normal speed it wasn't a problem. You can't really tell in the video, but as soon as it was round the corner it stopped. I had plenty of time to check behind me, pull out, check that the road behind it was clear and pass it.

Oh, and I was thinking it would be a good idea to fit a filter to it, so that the top 1/4 - 1/3 of the screen was darkened.

Now there's a good idea, a cokin graduated filter.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

Hmm - I tried to record my journey home, but the same thing happened as happened on the way in - the camera turned off before I finished my journey, and when I looked on the memory stick later, there was just an .avi file 0 bytes in size.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

bonj2

PrettyboyTim said:
Hmm - I tried to record my journey home, but the same thing happened as happened on the way in - the camera turned off before I finished my journey, and when I looked on the memory stick later, there was just an .avi file 0 bytes in size.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

oh...
that happened to me a few times, basically it turned off about a couple of minutes in, but for me it still did record what had happened up to the point where it turned off.
Did it beep at the point of turning itself off?
My guess is, either the batteries are low, OR, what I suspect is more likely, that the memory card has become fragmented. Repeated deleting and re-recording will cause it to become fragmented, and if the protocol that writes the captured video recording to the card is fairly low level, then it could stop when it's reached the end of the current 'block' that it's recording to, even if there does happen to be another block somewhere else.
Check the batteries but if they are ok, then format the memory card (as FAT/FAT16 I think) every time you transfer your videos off it onto your computer before putting it back in the camera.
mangatom might confirm or deny this, I could be talking bollocks i don't know but it sounds plausible to me.

Of course, I didn't have this idea soon enough to test it, so assuming you haven't formatted it, it's possible that near to the end of my usage of it it was becoming slightly fragmented, and by the time I passed it on to you, it is now VERY fragmented, which may explain why you are getting zero length files but I got a few minutes.
I haven't formatted the card in all the time I had it. Maybe you could give this a try? but check the batteries first.

let us know how it goes?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It could be that your batteries are flat. More likely if they are cold, btw. In the summer I can usually squeeze just over two hours from a set of 2600mah NiMH batteries, in the winter it goes down to maybe a one hour window.

bonj2

BentMikey said:
It could be that your batteries are flat. More likely if they are cold, btw. In the summer I can usually squeeze just over two hours from a set of 2600mah NiMH batteries, in the winter it goes down to maybe a one hour window.

ah yes, they could be cold. I notice the ATC 2000 does have a little coat that you can get for it :rolleyes: aaaaaaahhhhh!

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

I'd not expect fragmentation to be a problem as there was only one other file on it, but I might format it anyway.

To be honest it probably was the batteries - I'm not sure what's happened to my battery charger so I just popped a couple of alkaline batteries in - perhaps they just weren't up to it.

bonj2

PrettyboyTim said:
I'd not expect fragmentation to be a problem as there was only one other file on it, but I might format it anyway.
It doesn't mean it's not fragmented just 'cos there's only one file on it - that file might not necessarily be in one contigious block. Although if so that would rule out my theory that it stops if it reaches the end of a block.

Top Bottom