First week commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I decided as I have now finally got a job with regular hours (all be it night work) and fuel keeps going up I would bike the 21mls to work three times a week, invested in a pannier rack, panniers and a good set of lights, well I have just completed my third journey and I feel great, a few scary moments at first but I am know getting used to car drivers passing you with the width of a fag paper especially when there is nothing coming the other way,I find the majority of lorries give me plenty of room, here's to the next few rides I love it, get the Micky taken at work but as I say I know I can do it.

HelenD123

Guru
Hi Graham. Well done on the commuting. It feels great, doesn't it!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow, Christ on a bike as the saying goes..... 21 miles? each way?
Nice one Graham. That's good going.

You may aldready have, but I would advise to get cleated pedals and proper cycling clothing. But by the sounds of it you sound fully kitted up anyway.

Once again, well done on the 21 miles, makes my 13 there and back seem pithy.

Graham1 said:
I decided as I have now finally got a job with regular hours (all be it night work) and fuel keeps going up I would bike the 21mls to work three times a week, invested in a pannier rack, panniers and a good set of lights, well I have just completed my third journey and I feel great, a few scary moments at first but I am know getting used to car drivers passing you with the width of a fag paper especially when there is nothing coming the other way,I find the majority of lorries give me plenty of room, here's to the next few rides I love it, get the Micky taken at work but as I say I know I can do it.

Well done Graham!! ;) The first few rides are the hardest.

I can't understand why your colleagues are taking the mick at work. You'll be have more money than them, fitter than them, able to eat more cakes than them, etc....:o)

Nice One - Good luck to you - re the “mick” taking - I'd suggest they are just a little jealous of your capabilities - as you start getting fitter and leaner, prepare for the jealousy to get even worse…

bazzadigz C+

Graham1 said:

Can I possibly make a suggestion, if you travel by alternative means twice a week then why dont carry your change of clothes on these days then you ditch the panniers and carry the essentials (repair kit etc) on the bike days. It would make you lighter and improve the wind resistance on bad windy days. ;)

Although hats off to you mate, thats a big distance to cover! :o)

OP
OP
G

Graham1

ianrauk said:
Wow, Christ on a bike as the saying goes..... 21 miles? each way?
Nice one Graham. That's good going.

You may aldready have, but I would advise to get cleated pedals and proper cycling clothing. But by the sounds of it you sound fully kitted up anyway.

Once again, well done on the 21 miles, makes my 13 there and back seem pithy.
Got the pedals am currently using my old running shirts, one reason for cycling is i have had to pack up jogging as my 51yr old legs cant take it anymore having hauled 19 st around for years, but the served their purpose am now 15 st and getting fitter every day, I assume cycling jerseys are much the same as my wicking running shirts.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Christ on a bike part 2.

51 years - 21 miles
Flippity flip mate, I hope I am doing that distance at that age.

And yes cycling jerseys are much the same as running shirts

OP
OP
G

Graham1

ianrauk said:
Christ on a bike part 2.

51 years - 21 miles
Flippity flip mate, I hope I am doing that distance at that age.

And yes cycling jerseys are much the same as running shirts
You will if i can do it anybody can, 6 yrs ago i was your typical lorrydriver 6' tall and round. the other day i was riding along when i came across somebody stopped on the side of the road, he was slumped over the handle bars i asked if he was alright it turned out he had just stopped to give his knees a rest, they were 85 years old, there you go what more encouragement could you need, I am just a spring chicken.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Can I possibly make a suggestion, if you travel by alternative means twice a week then why dont carry your change of clothes on these days then you ditch the panniers and carry the essentials (repair kit etc) on the bike days. It would make you lighter and improve the wind resistance on bad windy days. :wacko:
Thats what I do, and my commute is only 17 miles each way :biggrin: I hate being loaded down with stuff.

Echo all the comments too, thats a serious journey it sounds as if you're doing extremely well :wacko:

Tynan

Veteran
good man

a cycle top will be cut for a cycle position and have pockets on the back for bits and bobs, try at least one, you can pick them up cheap if you watch out

Top Bottom