First week commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

indi

Regular
I have just spent my first week commuting to work on my new bike and I'm loving it so much I can't believe I've spent so many years on public transport.

I didn't sleep too well last Sunday because I was feeling anxious about it. But as soon as I was out there all that disappeared and I enjoyed every minute. It helped that Monday was a beautiful morning of course. It was a joy being out that early feeling the wind rushing past me and taking in the great city sights I never usually see. True to form, the Scottish weather didn't stay that good for long but I still loved it.

Drivers seemed to be very tolerant and accepting which helped too. Although by the end of the week I had changed my route slightly, taking me through Glasgow Green and avoiding the city centre traffic.

Anyway, just wanted to share my great experience. I hope it continues. I now officially love cycling.

Thanks

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
bless...

Your post just took me back to the days when i was a wee ankle biter and my dad took the stabilizers off my BMX. I had a good whinge about it at first and shouted at him as i thought he wanted to kill me but it went alright :tongue:

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
it will take you at least another week to perfect the route, and then to start looking for variations of the route, enjoy whilst the weather is good and the days are long.
Winter sorts out the men from the boys
Yeah, not looking forward to winter. We toyed with the idea of buying our bikes when the new models come in after September but decided against it so as to get as much out of the rest of the summer as possible and get as much practise in before the dark, cold and wet kicks in.

It's possible I'll get as far as late October and then have to wsit till Feb or March. I'm hopeful though that won't be the case. We'll see

It was great to see how many people are out there cycling (and walking) to work. Very refreshing, inspiring and encouraging. If myself and my wife are coming over there must be many more which can only be a good thing.

'Mon the cyclists

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Winter sorts out the men from the boys

Yeah, not looking forward to winter.

@indi I commute in glasgow too. What route do you take?

Well done @indi!
I commute Rutherglen-Secc, have done so for the last 5 years ... and I'm no man btw :whistle:
Started October 2011, so it will soon be my 6th winter: spiked ice tyres were a revelation!
You can ride the Green in darkness, there's one lane lit 24/7
Get familiar with bike cleaning and lubing before winter hits.
I also find a spare bike (or two ^_^) essential in case of mechanicals you can't fix before your next day off.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Well done. I used to love cycle commuting. After a while you'll spot the same regular cars and lorries, and a few well timed cheery waves from you will reap its own rewards in terms of future courtesy towards yourself from your fellow travellers, or 'Travel Buddies' as I used to think of them.

Love my travel buddies. Only one main waver at the moment though.

On my old route I used to exchange greetings with a jogger going in the opposite direction- big curly white hair, out every evening. Was very fond him.

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
@indi I commute in glasgow too. What route do you take?

Hey.

I start off in Cardonald and head along Mosspark Boulevard past Bellahouston Park. I continue on route 7 past Dumbreck and Bellahouston Academy which takes me into Cessnock. From there I head down to the Clyde and cross over Bells Bridge. Then along the Clyde walkway, through Glasgow Green and up to Duke Street from there. 40 mins at the moment. Think it's just over 6 miles.

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
Well done @indi!
I commute Rutherglen-Secc, have done so for the last 5 years ... and I'm no man btw :whistle:
Started October 2011, so it will soon be my 6th winter: spiked ice tyres were a revelation!
You can ride the Green in darkness, there's one lane lit 24/7
Get familiar with bike cleaning and lubing before winter hits.
I also find a spare bike (or two ^_^) essential in case of mechanicals you can't fix before your next day off.
Thanks for the tips, man. Appreciate it. There is a couple of points on my route that I thought I might have to change due to the dark. Good to know the Green will be lit.

At the moment I'm giving my chain a good clean after each ride. Do I need to step up my game in winter in terms of maintenance?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks for the tips, man
I am not a man! ^_^
Do I need to step up my game in winter in terms of maintenance?
Yeah man, get mudguards if you haven't already, when the gritters come out try to rinse the drivetrain every other day, then dry and lube it.
Should only take about 15 minutes.
Whatever you do, some bits will get surface rust, but you can still ride the bike.

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
I am not a man! ^_^

Yeah man, get mudguards if you haven't already, when the gritters come out try to rinse the drivetrain every other day, then dry and lube it.
Should only take about 15 minutes.
Whatever you do, some bits will get surface rust, but you can still ride the bike.
Thanks for that and apologies for the 'man'.

Killiekevin

@indi that's a similar kind of route to me and I might pass you (or be passed by you lol) I get off the train at Barrhead and head to the hurlet. Then through Pollok, Mosspark and along Paisley Road West into the city centre. Along the Gallowgate, onto Duke Street and Cumbernauld road heading onto Edinburgh Road and out to Easterhouse.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Drivers seemed to be very tolerant and accepting which helped too. Although by the end of the week I had changed my route slightly, taking me through Glasgow Green and avoiding the city centre traffic.
Really pleased to hear this. We hear enough tales and see enough videos of confrontations between cyclists and motorists to make you think it's a warzone out there. Of course it's not, everybody's just trying to get to work. Personally I find the vast majority of other road users to be polite, courteous and considerate.

I am not a man! ^_^
You are Gnome Ann!
gnome_ann.png

Top Bottom