First week commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
I was in the same boat as you last year.....then it came to October and I couldn't bear going back to public transport. Bought the right clothing and it was fine - I just applied my own rule that if it's icy or very high winds I will not ride. In south Manchester that was a handful of days last winter (very mild winter) but I commute after 9am when the ice has usually had a chance to melt. You may find you can get by with taking the bus just 30 days or so over the winter if you get the right clothing and good lights.

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
@indi that's a similar kind of route to me and I might pass you (or be passed by you lol) I get off the train at Barrhead and head to the hurlet. Then through Pollok, Mosspark and along Paisley Road West into the city centre. Along the Gallowgate, onto Duke Street and Cumbernauld road heading onto Edinburgh Road and out to Easterhouse.
Ooft. Barrhead to Easterhouse. That's a good distance. I'm guessing you'll be the one passing me. My legs are still getting used to this thing called exercise.

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
Really pleased to hear this. We hear enough tales and see enough videos of confrontations between cyclists and motorists to make you think it's a warzone out there. Of course it's not, everybody's just trying to get to work. Personally I find the vast majority of other road users to be polite, courteous and considerate..

It was a bit daunting going out for the first time. But I have (so far) found your post to be true. Long may it last.

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
I was in the same boat as you last year.....then it came to October and I couldn't bear going back to public transport. Bought the right clothing and it was fine - I just applied my own rule that if it's icy or very high winds I will not ride. In south Manchester that was a handful of days last winter (very mild winter) but I commute after 9am when the ice has usually had a chance to melt. You may find you can get by with taking the bus just 30 days or so over the winter if you get the right clothing and good lights.

Nice one.

I have to admit that I'm not enamoured with the idea of going back to public transport.

I've already got the waterproofs (Scottish summer and all that) so I'll need to look into some clothing for the cold and of course a good pair of gloves.

Someone at work mentioned they have a similar rule with regards to the weather. Specifically high winds. Seems like a good rule of thumb.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Nice one.

I have to admit that I'm not enamoured with the idea of going back to public transport.

I've already got the waterproofs (Scottish summer and all that) so I'll need to look into some clothing for the cold and of course a good pair of gloves.

Someone at work mentioned they have a similar rule with regards to the weather. Specifically high winds. Seems like a good rule of thumb.

It depends what direction the winds are blowing, I mean, it can be rather fun having a decent tailwind behind you!! :whistle:

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
I don't normally frequent this part of the forum by the way, I am just passing through.

Last edited:

Wolf616

Über Member
If you are on a budget as Winter approaches Aldi often has day long sales on winter cycling gear that is actually pretty decent for the cost. Their merino wool underclothes are particularly good value, rarely felt cold with one of them under my cycling jersey.

dianelc

I'm desperate to commute, but don't fancy the gleniffer braes. It's bad enough in the car watching the cars overtake cyclists on blind corners. Just applied for a new job closer to home. Fingers crossed I will be commuting soon

Killiekevin

Where do you live and where do you work? Is there any other way you can go?

I've started doing a longer commute from Kilmarnock to Glasgow and my first 6 miles are on country roads where impatient drivers are a big issue but its a shame to let it put you off

dianelc

Where do you live and where do you work? Is there any other way you can go?

I've started doing a longer commute from Kilmarnock to Glasgow and my first 6 miles are on country roads where impatient drivers are a big issue but its a shame to let it put you off
I live in Irvine and work in Paisley. I could go the cycle route but think I would never see the kids as this adds quite a few miles.

dianelc

How many miles is the cycle route? What kind of speeds are you averaging?
Cycle route 7 works out 26miles according to google maps 2hours 12 mins. I'm not sure what my average speed is as I'm mainly cycling with my son just now as we are training for a charity cycle in October. I think I might try it at the weekend and see how long it takes me. I'm sure that would put me off the idea.

Killiekevin

That seems like a long estimate for time, I now cycle from Kilmarnock to easterhouse and that's 27 miles and takes me 1 hr 41 minutes. Its a fair distance though but something im sure you could build up to. Let us know how it goes at the weekend.

dianelc

That seems like a long estimate for time, I now cycle from Kilmarnock to easterhouse and that's 27 miles and takes me 1 hr 41 minutes. Its a fair distance though but something im sure you could build up to. Let us know how it goes at the weekend.
That's impressive although probably way faster than me. I will keep you posted.

Top Bottom