First week of cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Afternoon everyone, hope you're all keeping well and safe with this virus doing the rounds. Okey dokey, last week I was given a bike 24 inch wheels kindly by a friend. So after speaking to guys an gals on the forum, I took in the advice given and managed to get a old mountain bike 26 inch wheel. So after not been on a bike for over 15yrs, I discovered a few things lol. My old bike that I had was a falcon road bike 12 gear, oh my giddy aunt.......bikes have really changed. V brakes...knoodle.....the list goes on! Anyway this old newbie has managed to get this old mountain bike rideable, went out on it round the block to get a feel for the old gal, everything seems in order, gears was a eye opener.....grip shift as I found out......emmm. so I took the plunge to see how both me an the bike would hold up! Oh the bike does what it saz on the tin, me on the other hand.....arms ached, leg ached, getting used to shift on gears (interesting experience...not lol) an rather sore rear end lol. Took it for 5 miles round trip (I know sad lol), but really, really enjoyed the freedom it has give me. A friend asked how I got on with the bike, apart from wheezing and coughing, sweating like crazy ok. My friend nearly had a fit laughing as his a regular cyclist....but did say he forgot how that felt first time out. Anyway I've nick named the bike Betty....been out on her 3 times now an still enjoying the 5 mile trip, it's slowly getting easier as well. You see due to not walking well due to health issues, I was doubtful that a bike would help but the sense of been able to do a few miles is truly brilliant. Betty isn't nothing special, she's a pretty ugly looking ladies bike....but it does the job an been ugly deters any light fingered peeps. Thought I would give you a update on a newbie an the experience of dealing with a totally alien gear, make of bike......it's fun. My friend laughed saying it's like a chimp with a laptop lol

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Well done for Getting out there. Enjoy. Have fun. That is the only rule. And stop when you have had enough. There is always tomorrow

OP
OP
Older then dirt

Older then dirt

Regular
At the moment I think 5 miles is enough, that's the round trip to shops. I only have to contend with one hill, but i hop off Betty an walk her up lol. It's mainly slight inclines an flattish route, had to plan route due to one leg been the engine sort off thing. Betty is totally different to my old road bike an its weird with grip shift but baby steps an all that tho

a.twiddler

Veteran
Afternoon everyone, hope you're all keeping well and safe with this virus doing the rounds. Okey dokey, last week I was given a bike 24 inch wheels kindly by a friend. So after speaking to guys an gals on the forum, I took in the advice given and managed to get a old mountain bike 26 inch wheel. So after not been on a bike for over 15yrs, I discovered a few things lol. My old bike that I had was a falcon road bike 12 gear, oh my giddy aunt.......bikes have really changed. V brakes...knoodle.....the list goes on! Anyway this old newbie has managed to get this old mountain bike rideable, went out on it round the block to get a feel for the old gal, everything seems in order, gears was a eye opener.....grip shift as I found out......emmm. so I took the plunge to see how both me an the bike would hold up! Oh the bike does what it saz on the tin, me on the other hand.....arms ached, leg ached, getting used to shift on gears (interesting experience...not lol) an rather sore rear end lol. Took it for 5 miles round trip (I know sad lol), but really, really enjoyed the freedom it has give me. A friend asked how I got on with the bike, apart from wheezing and coughing, sweating like crazy ok. My friend nearly had a fit laughing as his a regular cyclist....but did say he forgot how that felt first time out. Anyway I've nick named the bike Betty....been out on her 3 times now an still enjoying the 5 mile trip, it's slowly getting easier as well. You see due to not walking well due to health issues, I was doubtful that a bike would help but the sense of been able to do a few miles is truly brilliant. Betty isn't nothing special, she's a pretty ugly looking ladies bike....but it does the job an been ugly deters any light fingered peeps. Thought I would give you a update on a newbie an the experience of dealing with a totally alien gear, make of bike......it's fun. My friend laughed saying it's like a chimp with a laptop lol
Excellent! I bought a cheap bike in 1978 to get to the pub, full of good intentions, was going to get fit etc. The gears were horrendously high compared with modern MTBs. I remember my first trip, 3 miles, mostly uphill. I really thought I was going to die by the time I stopped at the summit. Still, I really enjoyed the freewheel home. I managed to find ways to lower the gearing, then bought a better bike after a year and have always had some sort of bike since. As I have said in a previous post, bikes are not just for athletes. They make a useful walking aid, magnifying the distance you can travel for the same effort. "Seven league boots" for mere mortals. I hope you will get much enjoyment and many new experiences as you get used to your new mode of travel.

OP
OP
Older then dirt

Older then dirt

Regular
The gaffer (wife) said if you keep on cycling, how abt investing in a new bike of better quality next year! Oh my god, first thought I had was.....I'm still getting used to Betty's gear rig.....im not sure I'm a lover of it but time will tell lol. I said to Mrs if I did have another bike it would have to be something more to what I'm familiar with. She said like what a sit up an beg!......eer, didn't say nothing but like the Dutch bikes shush tho lol

OP
OP
Older then dirt

Older then dirt

Regular
The trick is you get her into cycling and they become more happy when you do start spending , taking bikes and being out the bike when other jobs need going ;)
Oh no no, it's one the things that I love abt Betty, she doesn't moan an keeps the wife out my hair if I had any lol

Top Bottom