First weekend cycling tour planned - excited!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
My friend and I are planning a short two day cycling trip over the bank holiday weekend - it will be a first for both of us, so we're quite excited :smile:

The plan is to head up the Exe valley into Mid-Devon, then West across the hills (there will be a lot of those, I think) before dropping South to Okehampton, where we'll head into Dartmoor to find a nice pub for the evening followed by a night of wild camping. The next day we'll head down the West edge of the moor before crossing right over on the high road and heading back home. The route will look something like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/5...0x486da42388daa599:0x6a90393ba519fe1f!1m0!3e1

Mapmyride thinks 10446ft of ascent in 118 miles, so it will definitely be challenging! Hopefully we'll have some good weather and get some nice piccies to put up when we're done.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Happy trails.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Just sat down to write a packing list and I am surprised how much stuff I've got down - how am I going to get up those hills with all this in my panniers!

Are there any obvious kitchen sinks in this lot?

Wear/Panniers
Waterproof jacket
Fleece jacket (?)

Panniers/Rack
Shirt + troursers (for the restaurant)
Maps + compass
Toothbrush + toothpaste + deoderant
Mini first-aid kit + bog roll + anti-chafage cream
Tent
Sleeping bag
Sleeping mat
Mini solid fuel burner and alu pan
Tin mug + tea
Wallet + phone + keys (panniers)

Bike
Water bottles x 2
Bike lock + lights
Tools + pump + spare inner (saddle bag)

Food
Porridge (for breakfast - my favourite :smile:)
Flapjacks/Sweeties/Chocolate
Bananas
Crisps
Boiled eggs

Food in particular is a bit awkward for me... as a coeliac my options for convenient food in a small town/village shop are often very limited (it makes me very sad to see all those delicious cheap calorific but poisonous sarnies/pork pies/cake/biscuits etc!). On a normal weekend morning ride this isn't a problem (I just take some snacks and have lunch when I get back), but for this trip I think I'll have to take something a bit more substantial with me for lunches.

Anyone got any good recommendations for a convenient compact savoury lunch filler?

Ditch the fleece. It'll be bulky and too warm. If you want/need to feel warm in the evenings, a thermal or merino wool long-sleeved shirt will do the job. You certainly won't need a fleece whilst you're on the move as you will boil. :smile:

I wouldn't worry too much about cooking: porridge and tea/coffee for breakfast is OK and will get you to a caf later after you've started (you don't want to be cycling on a full stomach, either). Snacks (as you mentioned) you can eat and buy along the route, therefore you won't need 2-3 days' worth of bananas/flapjacks etc.

Snickers make for good simple energy bars to keep handy in a bar bag (not on body as it will melt).

Top Bottom