Fish 'n chips - Trike-friendly route from Brighton ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Any suggestions gratefully received - I've got an evening free whilst working in Brighton next week, and wondered about taking the route below to Newhaven - where I could reward myself with a fish supper.
http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/OTc5MzM=
I know voyager may have local knowledge of the route, but I thought I'd ask in the forum, as I might gain some inside knowledge about where to get the best food.

Last edited:
There are a few fish and chip shops in Newhaven, and a couple on the A259 in peacehaven, I have used both in Peacehaven , If you are biking then use the undercliff walk to Saltdean, I have also used the fish shop in Longridge Ave , Saltdean .

if you venture past Peacehaven the cyclepath gets very trike unfriendly at the far end od the highway, there are anti motor bike obstructions that restrict you .We only went once and it was a PITA. Peacehaven to Brighton is very hilly between Peacehaven and Saltdean .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bad Machine

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
As luck would have it, the weather held, and I did indeed get my fish and chip supper mid-ride. But from the Smugglers chip shop in the High Street, Saltdean, opposite the White Horse pub, rather than any further along the coast - so only a couple of miles out of Brighton. I thought I'd choose to ride east along the NCN route alongside Marine Drive on the way out to Newhaven, but hadn't got too far before being brought to an abrupt halt with the left rear mudguard unexpectedly working as a friction brake. Pulling over to the side of the route I also noticed the rear brakes weren't working either, so took a closer look.

DSCN2515.JPG

It would seem that the rear of two M6 bolts that secure the left rear mudguard stay to the rear subframe had loosened and detached, allowing the whole mudguard assembly to pivot forward, and coming into contact with the rapidly rotating tyre, got forced down hard against the hydraulic hose that supplies both rear calipers. The result was a tear in the hose, and fluid leaking all over the nearside caliper and disc. I made it down the hill to Saltdean just using the front brake, having spent a good few minutes putting to good use the zip-ties in the emergency repair kit. The wind had got up by the time I had finished off the last few chips, and I took the undercliff route back to Brighton, having first ridden round to the dead end of the coastal path just a little further east.

Lepus Saltdean cliffs 10Jul17.jpg

I've just finished repairing the hose, and have refilled the hydraulic fluid and bled the rear brakes (that took two attempts to get right). I may yet have to replace the brake pads on the side that leaked fluid, but will know for sure once I've been out for a longer ride.

Notes to self: 1. Always investigate unusual rattles when you first hear them. 2. Consider changing to bar end shifters if no hand-washing facilities are available after eating fish and chips.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bad Machine

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Looking at those pics, looks like you had the better weather :sun:
I forgot to mention - on the way back to Brighton I was passed by a youngster and his dad on their MTBs - I got a nod from the dad, and a couple of words from the boy; "sick bike". Considering the breakdown, he was very perceptive.

Looking at those pics, looks like you had the better weather :sun:
- on the way back to Brighton I got a nod from the dad, and a couple of words from the boy; "sick bike". Considering the breakdown, he was very perceptive.

That was Sunday morning, warm and a little cool wind .

Funny how the meaning of words has changed in 40 odd years , you were honoured , we get "sick" ," awesome", " wicked " and " cool "
must be a Brighton thing - unless !

regards emma

Top Bottom