Fishing while touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I fancy the idea of adding a little fishing to next year's Scottish ride. Given how little success I've had fishing from the shore, I figured a lightweight inflatable might be useful for sheltered waters. You can get a snazzy Alpacka that's a manageable 2.5kg, but £1000+ seems overkill for a few fish. Anyone else ever done this and have any recommendations?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have fancied bikerafting for a while. But like you say, the raft part is expensive. I have a Brompton, which would be ideal. This may be of interest.

View: https://youtu.be/e-Xsikg1TT4

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have had success with ‘net in a gap’ or ’weir fishing’ in the past using an old string bag. I am a kayak/canoe instructor and would love a pack raft whilst touring, but honestly can not justify the expense.

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran

Cheers. I watched this a while ago. Originally I thought about strapping a bike to an inflatable, but I think the new machine is too heavy. And it just felt weird the only time I've ridden a Brompton. No, what I'm after is just something to paddle around and get out into the deeper water. The Alpacka inflation system means there's no need to carry a pump. It's just the £££££.

beastie

Guru
I fancy the idea of adding a little fishing to next year's Scottish ride. Given how little success I've had fishing from the shore, I figured a lightweight inflatable might be useful for sheltered waters. You can get a snazzy Alpacka that's a manageable 2.5kg, but £1000+ seems overkill for a few fish. Anyone else ever done this and have any recommendations?
are you fishing fresh water or salt water?? Fish in lakes in Scotland will be not necessarily far from the shore . The same can be said for rivers. Fly fishing is certainly the lightest form of fishing. I have a 6 piece trout rod that packs down to 45cm, and weighs very little. However it takes a bit of knowledge and experience to master casting and more of the same to find fish. You will have more success if you think about where the fish are likely to be.
https://www.mitchellfishing.com/Mitchell-education-how-to-find-fish.html

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
are you fishing fresh water or salt water?? Fish in lakes in Scotland will be not necessarily far from the shore . The same can be said for rivers. Fly fishing is certainly the lightest form of fishing. I have a 6 piece trout rod that packs down to 45cm, and weighs very little. However it takes a bit of knowledge and experience to master casting and more of the same to find fish. You will have more success if you think about where the fish are likely to be.

Salt water. The ride would be taking in the Scottish islands and there are also less complications with licences when fishing in the sea. I have a telescopic rod that, along with a little box of lures, wouldn't be noticed weight-wise on my bike. And the dinghy would only be for sheltered bays. I don't fancy being blown half way across the Atlantic.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i always find it hard to ride along the bank and keep the line in the water

Brains

Legendary Member
In the words of Quint, "You're gonna need a bigger boat"

Suggest you do a boat tour with optional cycling ^_^

You'll need one of these for your gear for beach fishing

1597507341430.png

Top Bottom