FitBit: Programmed obsolescence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have a FitBit Charge 3 which I was given as a present, Christmas 2019. I have enjoyed using it until now, but recently the screen has become so dim as to be completely useless. Outside in daylight, it is impossible to read.

I have made sure the brightness settings are set to normal (that is the highest available setting) and I have tried the advice given by Fitbit and reset the device. Still the same...

A Google search would suggest this is a very common problem, and surprise surprise, seems to happen not long after the device is out of warranty.

I don't intend giving any money to Fitbit based on this experience, so are there any good alternatives? Garmin?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What phone do you have. Very happy with our Samsung's - Got the cheap Active myself, and MrsF has the 'bigger' fully featured version.

ExBrit

Über Member
I had a similar experience with FitBit. The bluetooth failed but it was within warranty. They send a refurbished watch and the bluetooth failed on that too, but by now it was out of warranty. The customer support said "We'll give you a 20% discount on a new device ^_^". My reply, which seemed to stun her, was "Why would I give you money for a device I know won't work six months from now? :stop:".

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I had a similar experience with FitBit. The bluetooth failed but it was within warranty. They send a refurbished watch and the bluetooth failed on that too, but by now it was out of warranty. The customer support said "We'll give you a 20% discount on a new device ^_^". My reply, which seemed to stun her, was "Why would I give you money for a device I know won't work six months from now? :stop:".
I'm reading a lot of similar stories online. And similar attitudes about buying another Fitbit. They may well have shot themselves in the foot, as word spreads far and wide, and quickly, in the modern age of communications!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My sister keeps getting new fitbits under warrenty. :wacko:

My pal went through so many Fitbits that it put me off ever having one. His all broke well within the guarantee period though.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Garmin are spot on when it comes to customer service.

@Brandane what features do you need as there's plenty of choice in their range?
Fairly basic stuff like a step counter, heart rate monitor, sleep analysis.... reasonable battery life. And a screen that you can actually read would be good!

Fairly basic stuff like a step counter, heart rate monitor, sleep analysis.... reasonable battery life. And a screen that you can actually read would be good!
the thought of a "sleep analyser" fills me with existential dread.
Can't you tell if you are sleeping OK?
And tell on waking if you slept OK?

Do folk first thing in the morning reach for a data device to tell them how it was for them?

My charge 2 has always been difficult to read in direct sun but it doesn’t bother me. Fitbit replaced it willingly after the screen developed a crack. Happy with the unit and the after sales.

Mrs Optic has a Garmin Vivo sport and the app is rubbish. She can set her preferences and targets and it takes no notice at all.

ExBrit

Über Member
I know, right? Who wants to wake up feeling refreshed only to have their watch tell them they slept like crap. It's like when you're riding in the dark at 18mph and then your computer tells you you're only riding at 14mph. TMI!

ExBrit

Über Member
My charge 2 has always been difficult to read in direct sun but it doesn’t bother me. Fitbit replaced it willingly after the screen developed a crack. Happy with the unit and the after sales.

Mrs Optic has a Garmin Vivo sport and the app is rubbish. She can set her preferences and targets and it takes no notice at all.
Yep - that's why I don't use Garmin - the hardware is good but the software is rubbish. FitBit is the other way around. I feel Wahoo got it about right.

Top Bottom