FitBit: Programmed obsolescence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do folk first thing in the morning reach for a data device to tell them how it was for them?
Can't speak for others, but I don't! I do find it to be not very reliable - as you say you know when you have slept well, and when you haven't. Sometimes the analysis on Fitbit is at odds with what you know! Nevertheless, I find it quite interesting at times. Not a deal breaker though.

si_c

Guru
I've been using a Forerunner 35 for the last couple of years, covers the basics - Steps, Sleep, Resting HR. Integrates nicely with the rest of the Garmin ecosystem which is a nice to have if you already have a couple of other devices. Additional bonus is I can use it as a HR monitor as it broadcasts via ANT+ so I don't always have to use a chest strap.

Battery life is around eight days or so if you are using it just as a fitness tracker, less obviously if you are using GPS or HR strap. The screen doesn't need the backlight on to see the time except in the darkest rooms. Really happy with it so far, just works and I don't notice it.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've been using a Forerunner 35 for the last couple of years, covers the basics - Steps, Sleep, Resting HR. Integrates nicely with the rest of the Garmin ecosystem which is a nice to have if you already have a couple of other devices. Additional bonus is I can use it as a HR monitor as it broadcasts via ANT+ so I don't always have to use a chest strap.

Battery life is around eight days or so if you are using it just as a fitness tracker, less obviously if you are using GPS or HR strap. The screen doesn't need the backlight on to see the time except in the darkest rooms. Really happy with it so far, just works and I don't notice it.
@Brandane this is the one, although I think it might be the FR45 now.

I've got a couple of Garmins with the sleep function on them and to be honest I've never found it any use, I tried it for a few days until the novelty wore of and then just stuck my watch at the side of the bed when I went to sleep.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Similar happened with Mrs B's fitbit. First replaced under warranty (just in time), then the second started playing up outside the warranty period before falling over completely. But the reliability of both devices was bad: Not recording or recording incorrectly.
She switched to a Samsung.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
the thought of a "sleep analyser" fills me with existential dread.
Can't you tell if you are sleeping OK?
And tell on waking if you slept OK?

Do folk first thing in the morning reach for a data device to tell them how it was for them?

I have two friends who check this data every day. They're fascinated by their "numbers," I'm afraid I don't get it. I watch my weight, HR and BP. That'll do.

I did once try wearing my Garmin watch at night. I have a very low HR and wondered how low it went. The watch was uncomfortable and I couldn't get to sleep. I took it off!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have two friends who check this data every day. They're fascinated by their "numbers," I'm afraid I don't get it. I watch my weight, HR and BP. That'll do.

I did once try wearing my Garmin watch at night. I have a very low HR and wondered how low it went. The watch was uncomfortable and I couldn't get to sleep. I took it off!
I wear my Garmin Fenix 24/7. Agree the sleep readings don't always tally up with how I've felt I've slept, but I like to see the resting heart rate. Sadly it seems to be going up this week :sad: I really need to drop some weight.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

I bet you only check weight, HR and BP once a month or less as well.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I bet you only check weight, HR and BP once a month or less as well.
Actually no. Weight check is Wednesday morning, HR I monitor while riding* and check the numbers after a ride and BP is, yes, monthly when I remember.

* I've had a heart attack and a brain haemorrhage so being aware of this is important to me. I accept medically it's possibly unimportant but what I like is to know my HR is consistent during exercise.

potsy

Rambler
I've had my Charge 2 for around 3 years (maybe 4) and it has been absolutely fine so far.

Well, it had until it stopped alerting me to WhatsApp messages a few weeks ago, try as I might I cannot get it to work, keeps saying 'phone restart required' which doesn't solve the problem...

Not a massive problem, I only really use it to keep track of my daily/weekly step count.

I have two friends who check this data every day. They're fascinated by their "numbers,"
tis wierd isn't it?
Are they folk who re-ride their bike rides with data? (edit to this line - you clearly have reason to)
Is this condition classified?
Only a matter of time before in a search to add value to the next model while using the same gubbins/processor they add a sex analysis function - then you can tell your partner how good it was for them - the numbers cannot lie.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
tis wierd isn't it?
Are they folk who re-ride their bike rides with data?
Is this condition classified?
Only a matter of time before in a search to add value to the next model while using the same gubbins/processor they add a sex analysis function - then you can tell your partner how good it was for them - the numbers cannot lie.
Almost, yes. They will look at the data etc. and look at what was happening when and where. I happily listen to the chat and ask questions. Some of it I can partly grasp, other bits seem to be from another universe.

I have another friend who rides according to his power output. This, to me, makes good sense. He knows what he's capable of, decides on an intensity he can sustain in given circumstances, on a three mile climb for instance, and uses the power meter to monitor this.

I do similar in that I'll choose a gear, sit up, relax and look to find a steady rhythm and avoid the temptation to go off too fast. I do watch my HR to help monitor it, I look for a steady sustained increase as opposed to a rapid jump.

Venod

Eh up
Before we had smart watches and scales, I hardly ever bothered getting weighed and never checked my blood pressure.
Now I step on the scales every morning, wear my watch in bed to monitor sleep, check my step count and check blood pressure now and again.
With never getting weighed it came as a shock to see that I was 12 stone 10Ibs but with monitoring and watching what I eat I am now down to 11 stone which is a lot better for cycling. BMI is now 22 was 26
Having a graph to see your improvement is a big incentive.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Samsungs will record data on the app and watch. It measures resting hr when you are at rest, so will give you some data trends etc. Mine doesn't do the REM sleep stuff (I've never checked) but it does tell you how long you've been asleep and will tell you if you've had less sleep than usual etc. Its good for steps etc.

I like some of the integration though. Eg if you are walking somewhere and using navigation, it relays this to the watch, so you aren't getting your phone out in an unfamiliar city for example. I also like the texts and call alerts. The more expensive version lets you make calls on it, mine just opens the phone to answer (handy for hands free, you just tap the watch).

Top Bottom