Fitness and Calorie Counts - Would like some opinions on accuracy of various outputs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did two rides this last week one 12.45 miles the other 12.41 (figures are for the latter ride first), data from the garmin are Avg Sp 11.63 and 11.7mph elevation was 615ft or 49.48 and 49.64ft/mile calories 607 and 675 or 48.78 and 54.39 per mile or 567 and 636 per hr, Avg HR 144 and 154 on the 2nd ride I did a bit of shopping so had a little bit more weight for the last mile or so the 2nd ride felt easier and the figures support that, I should point out it is my first rides since early Oct last

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I did two rides this last week one 12.45 miles the other 12.41 (figures are for the latter ride first), data from the garmin are Avg Sp 11.63 and 11.7mph elevation was 615ft or 49.48 and 49.64ft/mile calories 607 and 675 or 48.78 and 54.39 per mile or 567 and 636 per hr, Avg HR 144 and 154 on the 2nd ride I did a bit of shopping so had a little bit more weight for the last mile or so the 2nd ride felt easier and the figures support that, I should point out it is my first rides since early Oct last

What’s your resting HR and what’s your max HR on a bike?

What’s your resting HR and what’s your max HR on a bike?
Not sure these days about resting, lowest it has ever been that i know of low 80's these days possible, mid 90's higher maybe,Mmax I maxed out at 179 the other day (just unfit) mind it is a bit of a b**** the last climb to the house not far but a 230ft/mile rate, highest HR I can see that makes sense is 181, pretty sure its been a tad higher, before Sept 2017 I often only maxed out mid 160's unless there was a difficult climb for me that I did

boydj

Legendary Member
Don't get hung up on numbers. Train regularly and consistently, with easy days mixed in with hard days, and your fitness will improve. You may not lose much weight, but you will build muscle and improve your heart/lung fitness.

Brooks

A few years ago I lost a couple of stone by having green smoothies every day and walking a least 5 miles a day.
Funny thing is since I took up cycling a couple of years ago I've never felt as fit as I do now. I have a heart condition and the cycling has been a fantastic benefit to my overall health. I would advise just getting out on your bike as often as you can even for short trips to the shops and you'll feel great. The weight will fall off in time. Good luck.

si_c

Guru
I'm a big guy and I estimate about 50cals per mile regardless of intensity. My power meter puts me in the same ball park so it's a good rule of thumb for me. 40 seems a reasonable number for most people.

In terms of what that static bike was telling you that calorie burn is very high for cycling and would need a power output of about 350W for
an hour or 500W for your 40 mins.
I'm guessing it's probably wrong :laugh:

I wouldn't worry about power too much though, even calorie burn, if you are losing weight keep doing what you are doing, if you want to stop losing weight, eat more!

Ange01

I have just bought this bike and the booklet advises that the calories are in Kj and not Kcal so that would bring your calories down to a realistic level

Gibbo9

Veteran
It can be utterly confusing given the information that is available. I have a Garmin 1000 and an iWatch, I ride the exact same route every morning of 27.km usually anywhere between 57 - 65 minutes.

Typically my Garmin tells me that I have burned anywhere between 900 - 1000 calories whilst my iwatch tells me its between 600 - 700 calories.

I now use my iWatch to track my calories as this sets me a daily burn goal, which currently sits at 900. Utilizing this method (and doing just over 3600km in the past 6 months) I have managed to lose 15 kilos from 88 to 73. I am 5ft 6 so was clinically obese for my height. I have not changed my diet, I have always been a fan of salads anyway, and I still drink beer at least twice a week (6-8 pints). I have completely lost my gut and I feel so much fitter and alert. Hills I regularly struggled on I now go up without any fuss.

Ignore the numbers, just enjoy the rides.

Top Bottom