Fitness and Hills?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
If you ride within yourself and introduce much more speed, and strength into your routine you can tackle most hills fairly easily. I live in Wales and regularly ride the mountain and forest trails up to 2500ft which are much harder than road hills and you find that when you get into a steady relaxed pace it isn't too difficult. I wouldn't advocate getting out of your saddle and thrashing about as you will just get into oxygen debt and can be painful on the knees. Finally look at the great cimbers on Youtube like Lance Armstong and Marco Pantani and see how relaxed and smooth their style is.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
If you ride within yourself and introduce much more speed, and strength into your routine you can tackle most hills fairly easily. I live in Wales and regularly ride the mountain and forest trails up to 2500ft which are much harder than road hills and you find that when you get into a steady relaxed pace it isn't too difficult. I wouldn't advocate getting out of your saddle and thrashing about as you will just get into oxygen debt and can be painful on the knees. Finally look at the great climbers on Youtube like Lance Armstrong and Marco Pantani and see how relaxed and smooth their style is.

stevenb

Ludwig said:
Finally look at the great cimbers on Youtube like Lance Armstong and Marco Pantani and see how relaxed and smooth their style is.

Very true. Keeping a smooth pace and not flapping the bike about and moving your upper body side to side helps focus the energy to your legs where it's needed.
Find a gear thats comfortable....and as soon as you feel the strain coming on again it's time to change down again. Keeping a steady breathing pattern helps too. Stay focused. Keep you head straight and fix your eyes on the top of the hill if you can see it and don't look down at your gears etc.

Once you find yourself at the top of the hill see how quickly you can recover to a normal breathing pattern.
We all have off days so don't worry about that. The more you train at them the better you'll get as the others guys have said.

I always have to climb a hill on my way home from rides out with my mate as we have a meeting point start and finish. Once we finish I have to cycle another 6.3 miles and with a steep hill at the end. I always leave myself enough energy to climb...although a few times I've been close to passing out...:biggrin:

will

for LONG Long hill (several miles)

Good cadence in easy gear, sitting down, and move bum Back a bit on the saddle (and tie bungee cord to guy in front of you)

Bigtallfatbloke

Quite often it isnt the hill that is the main issue for me. It is th eidiot car drivers exercising their big right feet withing cms of me when i am knackered going up a hill...if they wold just piss orf and let me get on with things all would be aok

Top Bottom