Fitness, fun or both?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Top ex-pros Sean Yates and Brian Robinson would probably have said the same before they needed to buy theirs! :okay:

What, Yatesey has a leccy bike :ohmy:

Isn't there research that indicates that e bike users get me exercise from the e-bike compared to non powered bike use. Or something like that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Isn't there research that indicates that e bike users get me exercise from the e-bike compared to non powered bike use. Or something like that.

I think it shows that they ride more often and further than they would ride non-electric bikes, so they get more benefit than they otherwise would.

They wouldn't be getting more benefit than someone doing the same rides on a conventional bike!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think it shows that they ride more often and further than they would ride non-electric bikes, so they get more benefit than they otherwise would.

They wouldn't be getting more benefit than someone doing the same rides on a conventional bike!

Correct. You need a certain un-balanced personality to love the pain - it's not in everyone, so that's where an e-bike is brill.

CXRAndy

Guru
I started to do cardio training twice a week for now. What is the maximum days a week i can go with the time?

If the level is in Z1 you should be able to easily do five to six days a week.

Don't mock Z1 either, it's a vital ingredient to building a huge cardiovascular engine.

Once you've got a good few months of Z1/2 then add in Z5 high intensity training

Final, listen to your body and rest when feeling tired. Structured training suggest every forth week, back off riding for the week, do around 50% of usual training level

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

They get more exercise than sofa surfers

CXRAndy

Guru
I can easily hit max HR using my ebike, Im just alot faster.:bicycle:

I primarily use my ebike for local shopping, but Ive found it a great training tool.

I can ride up any hill or into a howling gale and remain in Z1/2 .

That is invaluable for consistency whilst training.

Alex321

Veteran
I can easily hit max HR using my ebike, Im just alot faster.:bicycle:
I don't think that is quite the right wording:smile:

Nobody can easily hit their max heart rate. You are almost at the point of blacking out when you hit it. If you are getting close to it and can still talk, then your max HR is higher than you think it is.

CXRAndy

Guru
I don't think that is quite the right wording:smile:

Nobody can easily hit their max heart rate. You are almost at the point of blacking out when you hit it. If you are getting close to it and can still talk, then your max HR is higher than you think it is.

I don't agree, once you know your limits and regularly hit it like I do most weeks, racing on Zwift. I don't mind the discomfort, quite like it -masochistic way. I peak out at 180bpm, yesterdays race, saw me 4 times reach 175bpm for 15secs. Not quite total max, climb nor sprint was quite long enough.

nothing wrong with pushing the limits if you have no underlying issues

Alex321

Veteran
I don't agree, once you know your limits and regularly hit it like I do most weeks, racing on Zwift. I don't mind the discomfort, quite like it -masochistic way. I peak out at 180bpm, yesterdays race, saw me 4 times reach 175bpm for 15secs. Not quite total max, climb nor sprint was quite long enough.

nothing wrong with pushing the limits if you have no underlying issues

You may be able to get close fairly easily, you may even be able to hit the max fairly regularly.

But it is never "easy" to hit max heart rate - pretty well by definition, you can only hit that if you are working absolutely at the max level you are capable of, and that ain't easy.

CXRAndy

Guru
But it is never "easy" to hit max heart rate - pretty well by definition, you can only hit that if you are working absolutely at the max level you are capable of, and that ain't easy.

But you will find many folk don't like the sensation of laboured breathing, so rarely if ever push themselves to find maximum or even near max like threshold HR.

This is my HR analysis from yesterdays event.
HR 3R.jpg

38s at Anerobic and 7m34s Threshold HR

Last edited:
Top Bottom