Fitness trackers vs dedicated cycling computers vs phone app?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
+1 Elemnt love mine , never had a problem it works out the box from the start and like @PaulSB the bit's you don't want just turn them off. Only time you really need to connect your phone if that's not for you is to set up what into you want to see (though you can switch between stuff that what you want to see on the unit if you out a ride) the units you want use and to sync data to 3rd party site's or see your ride data in a bit more detail all from a simple to use app. it works just fine on a ride with out it being linked to it. (i use it like that most of the time) It's ant+ compatible a few 3rd partly sensors won't work check out the site it has a full list. Saying that if it come's to it the bundle is good value. I ended up getting one easy set up and fitting quality is good too I did have a small issues with the heart rate one but a new battery has fixed it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
@cyberknight I would recommend the Wahoo Elemnt. It does more than you are asking for but those functions can be ignored/turned off. It does also connect to your phone and I've found this extremely good for transferring routes from Ride With GPS. It has other functions which work with a mobile but again can be ignored/turned off.

To date my Wahoo has been faultless, great battery life, chevron trail easy to follow, simple to use and allows me to view the data I want, when I want. Everything my Garmin 810 is not.

As a company Garmin must be very concerned they now have serious, quality competition at a competitive price.
Unfortunately a bit more than I would get at X mas even if I asked for cash from everyone

tom73

Guru
Unfortunately a bit more than I would get at X mas even if I asked for cash from everyone

Right ok maybe one other other models maybe in reach the website let's you compare them. Can always look on eBay they do come up but not in big numbers. I got mine that way brand new never and been out the box.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Have a look at the lezyne macro GPS if you're on a tight budget, what stock remains is very well discounted. Doubt there'll be many around in time for christmas though, retailers are clearing them out now.
i was looking at the super gps i believe the macro uses Bluetooth only sensors

Drago

Legendary Member
My Vivoactive HR is very close when compared to my pulse oximeter, so I'm happy with that.

For recording purposes though a proper GPS unit bests the phone every time, because of the way phones use a secondary algorithm which uses cell sites as well as the GPS signal, which simply isn't as accurate. That said, some modern phones really have closed the gap to the point that the difference is really not worth worrying about.

nickAKA

Über Member
It's buried in the detail but it does say ant+ compatible here, and at that price it's a lot of functionality for the money -

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Macro-GPS-Navigate-Computer_99081.htm

Red17

Veteran
My Vivoactive HR is very close when compared to my pulse oximeter, so I'm happy with that.

For recording purposes though a proper GPS unit bests the phone every time, because of the way phones use a secondary algorithm which uses cell sites as well as the GPS signal, which simply isn't as accurate. That said, some modern phones really have closed the gap to the point that the difference is really not worth worrying about.

I like my gadgets and recently bought a Garmin Vivosport wrist fitness tracker. Generally seems pretty consistent with a chest strap in normal use, but I've found the heart rate tracker very inaccurate at high intensity ie compared to my chest strap it gave a 130's ave heart rate during a cx race where as the chest strap recorded a mid 170 bmp average. Seen the same sort of difference wearing both on a turbo trainer doing interval sessions. Not sure quite why there is this difference, could be something to do with position on the wrist I suppose.

Have a read of any of DC Rainmakers reviews of wearables. He goes into great detail why wearables are great at measuring heart rate, just not when cycling. Loads of graphs and data he presents show the measurements way off, and recommends a chest strap if you want the numbers to be anywhere near reliable.

having said that, he also seems quite impressed with the Ionic https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/08/fitbit-ionic-gps-smartwatch-all-the-details.html

Posted this earlier in the thread. Have a read of any of DC Rainmakers reviews of wearables and he explains why they are not up to scratch when it comes to cyling, as you have noticed...

mustang1

Legendary Member
It's probably already mentioned (I'm late to the thread) but afaik, a chest strap is far more accurate than a wrist-based device. In addition, I think you need to calibrate so you have to go thru a workout routine where you can enter your rest and peak heart rates?

Top Bottom