Fitness

Best for Fitness?

• Shorter but More Often

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • Longer but Less Often

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I know the feeling. I am a motorcyclist myself but I hate riding them nowadays. Too much speed cams and traffic altho I have yet to have an accident. However I simply cannot do without a motorcycle as I often end up having to filter through traffic or end up late for work. Work which I would not have if I kept turning up late. Plus overtaking is possible on a bike, cars are mostly way under powered. All my recreational riding is done by pedalling.
I felt the same about using my motorbike. It’s amazing how little time difference there is compared to cycling though tbh. Distance and traffic levels will vary, obviously, although changing the other end takes a tad longer when cycling depending on the kit you use on your motorbike.

si_c

Guru
I commute a 25~30mi round trip 5 days a week and make sure I ride fairly hard both ways. When I come to do longer leisure rides at the weekend, I don't find them particularly difficult.

I think you need to do both, but you get the greatest fitness benefit from the shorter, sharper rides.

Tin Pot

Guru
Variety is needed for continual improvement.

Do the frequent short rides while it suits, donlonger when you change your mind.

I am a very poor swimmer and bad knee stops me running. No issue cycling though as it’s rotational rather than impact. Not enough time to squeeze Gym in, so Commute is the best I can do.

I used to make the same journey on my CBR, before I got taken out by a parked car aiming for a gap that wasn’t there. Cycling the journey is far more fun than I remember the CBR being. :smile:

Perfect for Ironman then.

1. Avoid drowning
2. Ride bike
3. Walk it in muttering something about nutrition and dehydration

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Perfect for Ironman then.

1. Avoid drowning
2. Ride bike
3. Walk it in muttering something about nutrition and dehydration
Is that the usual way of doing it? Lol

My problem is that I have a group of workmates who are very competitive iron man athletes and so my assumption was that this was the norm.

Tin Pot

Guru
Is that the usual way of doing it? Lol

My problem is that I have a group of workmates who are very competitive iron man athletes and so my assumption was that this was the norm.

“Works” for me anyway!

I have yet to meet any Ironman athlete who is really competitive, even the guys who are pushing towards KQ are really laid back compared to cycle club racers anyway.

Back to your question, I think “little and often” is how humans improve at anything. But doing the same thing all the time flatlines after about three weeks.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
“Works” for me anyway!

I have yet to meet any Ironman athlete who is really competitive, even the guys who are pushing towards KQ are really laid back compared to cycle club racers anyway.

Back to your question, I think “little and often” is how humans improve at anything. But doing the same thing all the time flatlines after about three weeks.
The guys I know are actually proper chilled tbh. Their competitiveness is usually compared to their previous times, with the odd bit of banter where they’ve done the same race. ;)

I have to say that I feel fitter now, having done a number of weeks of regular short hard blasts to and from work. I am intrigued as to how that translates into doing the Velothon on Sunday. 80 odd miles in pretty hot forecasted temperatures.

The last few years I have done it after doing longer rides, but less often, on the run up. This year I feel stronger.

I guess we will soon see. :smile:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
“Works” for me anyway!

I've yet to meet anyone at a race that isn't laid back and willing to share information . That includes tri clubs that are part of the combine my club is in .

screenman

Legendary Member
I thought I was fit until I added swimming and weights into my fitness regime. 45 years of cycling and racing got me fit for cycling and little else.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
55 years old nearly, and the fittest and lightest I've been. FTP of 306 watts @62kg; measured on Quarq PM and cross-referenced to Tacx Neo. Don't take any unenforced rest days. Ride 14-18 hours a week at various intensities. Work full time 12hr shift work. Only days off are typically overseas holidays or away from home. Don't get this excuse to take days off. A gentle spin when fatigued is great recovery.
Thats massive wattage . You must be doing ten miles in less than 19 mins ?

uclown2002

Guru
Thats massive wattage . You must be doing ten miles in less than 19 mins ?
Well I'll never know as I have no interest in racing or riding outside since I was introduced to Zwift. I've had a few nasty accidents outside causing significant time off work which I can ill-afford. As a point of reference I did a 14 min TT @5.4 w/kg on Zwift.

Top Bottom