Fitting A Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

sorry for the probably daft question, but how do you know how long the chain should be on a track bike???

also, if the chain is one length for say a 49 - 15 combo, would i need to change it if i fitted a different gear ratio???

thanks

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
What i did when i changed my gear ratio(yes it will mean shortening or making your chain loner, but if you have long enough dropouts you might be able to get away with 1 tooth or 2 tooth different sprocket change) was put the wheel to the front(forward facing dropout so right at the front of it) then split the chain and see how many links needed taking off, luckily it was just an outer and an inner. Chain doesnt have to be tight when you set the length, as long as you have enough so you can pull the wheel back to get rid of the slack.
When you change ratio your chain length will be wrong.
My ration went from 46/19 to 44/19, and the wheel went from being right at the front of the drop-outs to right at the back.
If that makes sence:wacko:

OP
OP
S

steve23

it does yes, but what length do i put it at to start off with?

or is it just trial and error?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Put the back wheel in close to the front of the drop-out, put the chain on the chain ring and the sprocket and see what they are like whe you join them.
Have a play, put the chain on like it should and try and get the chain tight-ish and see how much you need to take off. You might find you have to have the wheel back further.
Im nearly confusing myself here:wacko:

robgul

Legendary Member
steve23 said:
it does yes, but what length do i put it at to start off with?

or is it just trial and error?

Yep, that's it - just fiddle around. Another option is to get a chain made up of "half-links" that will give you more flexibility in length adjustment (you can get 1/8" wide BMX chains that work perfectly OK on 1/8 track/fixed running gear)

My track bike and road fixie both have enough dropout length to (just) manage a 3 tooth variance on the back cog.

Rob

Top Bottom