Fitting a Cytronex Pedelec kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Last October I brought a Cytronex ebike conversion kit for my Decathlon Network 700. The choice of this company because it was local. I live and work in Winchester. Being a hilly place the conversion would mean I would be more likely to use a bike for work rather than drive. My shifts are often 12.5 hrs long and peddling up a nasty steep hill on a wet cold night after work isn’t particularly pleasant has I am approaching old fart status, being 60+ !

An eBike conversion kit can be brought for a lot less than the Cytronex item. My research lead me to believe that I would need a sensor detecting motion of the chain/belt If I want to meet Pedelec legal Spec. Typically it would on the crank. There is very little clearance between the crank arm and thee bottom bracket about 2mm at the most. There wouldn’t enough clearance. The Cytronex kit has a sensor that detects motion of the rear sprocket. It is mounted on the rear drive side stay and points at rear sprocket. The tip has be be 1 to 4mm away from it. The battery has a limited capacity but since I didn’t intend to go far that wasn’t an issue for me.

The basic kit cost about £1000, I added lights which work well but added another £200. This is way more than other kits of a similar nature. If you want them to fit it then that another £150 so I myself.

I had issues getting the sensor mounted correctly so asked Cytronix to have a look. Then I got the tough love approach to customer care. They sent me a PDF containing instructions but no just popping in the shop to have a look. You book an appointment and get charged @ £30.00 per half hour! I found the thought of being charged at this rate by a bike shop did concentrate my mind somewhat. I got the sensor fixed and all is currently well.

In conclusion was it worth it? I am doubtful, I guess the sensor isn’t unique to Cytronex and could fitted to a standard ebike conversation kit. The total cost of the various bits I have fitted to this bike plus the original cost works out to an amount which could buy an ebike of a decent specification.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think for the price you paid the customer service needs a lot to be desired.

richtea

They charge £155 for installation, so knowing that upfront (as the OP would if he went through the online order form) £30 per half hour looks reasonable value for money compared to just handing the bike over.
That doesn't make it good value at ~£1k though, but that's a whole different argument.^_^

dicko

Guru
I have just this day ordered a Cytronex C1 kit for my C Butler Legend 24. I’m 77 this year and I need a bit of assistance going up hills. I was thinking of a new E bike, I was interested in a Raleigh Array for around £999 from Halfords, but the C Butler is such a nice reliable bike I thought I will convert it myself.

I thought so too. I fitted a TSDZ2 with large battery 740Whr to wife's bike. Fully customisable setup, she's had 3 years now, still running perfect

I have a TSDZ2 too and the other big benefit is easy and cheap availability of parts and no proprietary battery so everything is relatively cheap and easy to repair or replace which means its not a short-life throwaway product like so many other proprietary ebike solutions. In fairness the TSDZ2 is probably not the most reliable or robust mid-drive motor but not bad. Certainly from what I understand much more reliable than Brose and possibly even Bosch but not as reliable as the better Bafang mid-drive motors. The other great thing about the TSDZ2 is you can move it from bike to bike as you feel fit so you if you upgrade your bike you can just remove and refit it to the new bike and if you crack the frame then you just need a replacement frame to get going again which could cost as little as a fiver on the s/hand market you don't have to pay £2000 for a replacement frame that has a proprietary fitting for your motor. I think they are a brilliant mid-drive motor option.

However for a general road ebike I feel hub motors are far superior especially if you are a heavy rider like myself. They are much larger overbuilt motors and work independently of the drivetrain so massively extend drivetrain life. A less hassle but also less powerful solution.

My preference for motor output control is throttle, then torque sensor and then cadence sensor. Throttle gives precise control only when you want the power so you can use it as much or as little as you like instantly. It's how most ebikes in the world are controlled across the US, Asia, Africa and South America. It's by far the best option too for those with health issues who may need full twist and go power at times plus it gives you enhanced safety in urban traffic as their is no lag to providing power and it never comes on when you don't want it. Throttles are less common on mid-drive ebikes especially proprietary ebikes.

CXRAndy

Guru
I like the TSD for its smooth delivery of power(custom firmware). It's quiet too.

For the Mrs who doesn't hoon it around it's a great unit, gets her 20% inclines without much complaints, whisks her along for upto 50-60mile range.

Like you say cheap available spares

My own bike runs a Bafang unit with torque or speed sensing, depending on whether I want eco or sports mode

Top Bottom