Fitting\adjusting carbon bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, one of my new bikes has a carbon seatpost which is a new thing for me, so I am after some advice before I start adjusting things.

I have ridden about 60 miles so far and apart from deciding that I need to lose about 2cm from the stem, I also think the seat could do with raising maybe half a cm.

Thing is, being used to Alloy, is there any special ways to treat carbon things that I need to know, such as;

Do I really need a torque wrench when tightening the seat post bolt, or can I just nip it up like usual.

Do I need to grease the post to stop future seizure, or is there some specific carbon friendly product that I need to use...or do I need to at all?

Thanks in advance.

Fiona N

Veteran
No grease - you don't want to aid slippage, do you - but I believe there is a sticky compound out there for carbon-in -carbon juxtapositions. Otherwise, if you've got a torque wrench use it with the seat post manufacturer's settings, if not, use common sense and tighten just enough to stop the post sliding down.

No grease - you don't want to aid slippage, do you

Grease was ok on my ali posts - stopped squeaks and seizing tbh.

I was worried that a bit of ham fistedness with the allen keys may result in an expensive breakage. I guess a bit of common sense should be all I need...Houston, we have a problem.
wink.gif

Edit: Found this, Carbon Assembly grease. Looks like I need to add it to my toolkit.

Tiny Sachet of the gloop

Top Bottom