Fitting flat handlebars to a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning all

I currently ride a single speed with flat handle bars! As I am fairly knackered with arthritis - my knees and back are all but buggered - I have been advised, from a previous thread, that I should switch to a bike with gears. Incidently my beautiful Bob Jackson with miche express wheels, Ritchey components. White Industries free wheel, Truvativ Omnium Track Single Speed Chainset, Brooks saddle etc will be appearing for sale in the Classified early next year and no offer will be too large! ;)

Anyway, for my 15 mile a day commute I will be getting a road bike and because I am an old spaz drop handlebars are a definate no. I am not too keen on a hybrid. So, I am considering getting an off the peg roadie and fitting flat handlebars to it. I am not too clued up on handlebar stems and headsets etc. What I would like to do is just a buy simple flat handlebars & brake levers and just swap them with the drop handlebars.

Can anyone see any particular problems or perhaps offer some advice?

Much appeciated as always!

raindog

er.....
Surely top end hybrids are more or less road bikes with flat bars? Wouldn't it be easier to buy one of these?

CorsairC

Über Member
It makes little sense to convert a road bike unless you already have one, or have the parts already, it its expensive.

Buy something like a Giant Rapide which is exactly the same as a road bike but with flat handle bars.

Hyrids range from heavy but comfortable cruisers to all carbon road bikes (with flat handle bars).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Agree with the others, you can get some cracking flat bar road bikes from the likes of Bianchi, Specialized, Cannondale, Trek et al.

As a fellow "old spaz" I'd advise keeping the drops but just using the tops like a lot of us older riders - personally I find this offers more variation in hand position and is more comfortable.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
agree with the above, when I put drops on my hybrid it would have passed for a roadbike at a distance, clearance and brakes would have given it away up close. But I'd go proper fast hybrid than than flat bar road, my understanding of the differences:-

hybrid - can take full rack and guards, v-brakes, slightly more upright geometry, possibly longer head tube to get bars higher, can take all MTB controls and bars making risers an option for more bar height. a lot more choice in controls and shifters. As you have clearance you could keep two wheelsets, one for fast road stuff and one for offroad.

flat bar road bike - limitations on tyres/guards and rack, uses road caliper brakes so only accepts flat bar brake levers that match, more agressive geometry and can be hard, without ridiculous stems etc, to get bars up to a comfortable height.

Either way I'd make sure to include bar ends to give more hand positions. Personally I find them alone, inadequate over longer distances but there are plenty of bars to choose with multiple hand positions. Butterfly bars, titec h-bars, North road style bars(can add inboard bar ends to these for aero position). For me, straight flat bar road gives away too many options without returning enough gains. It's almost like they're a creation to assuage the macho ego that doesn't want to admit to owning a hybrid.

raindog

er.....
If you never use the drops I reckon it's better to use flat bars + bar ends. More comfortable than the tops of drops, if you know what I mean.;)

CorsairC

Über Member
Another option is to get a road bike with drops and an extra pair of levers on the flat part of the bar.

I had a FCR1 for a while, very nice bike. But its a very upright position (more than my old MTB) and my route has quite a bit of wind on it. So I sold it, (was a bit big for me) and intend getting a road bike so I can tuck out of the wind a bit better.

GrasB

Veteran
I'd say go for aero base bar (bull horn bar). That way you don't need silly long stems, you can use your drop bar STI shifters & you have loads of hand position options. If you want brake leavers on the flat you can use cross-top levers.

Top Bottom