Fitting Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I bought a set of proper mudguards for my new commuter bike yesterday. I got the rear one fitted okay, but on the front one, the metal bars that link the guard to the bottom of the forks are fouling the QR mechanism, meaning I can't get the wheel on straight.

Any tips? Or should I just saw the ends off a bit?

amaferanga

Veteran
A picture might make it clearer. Something doesn't sound right.

lejogger

Guru
Definitely sounds a bit dodgy... if the QR lever is at a 1 o'clock angle running straight up the fork, the hole to screw the guard stay into should be behind, and the stays should go backwards away from the QR lever from there, so there shouldn't be any interference at all. (except from disc brakes hence why I only have one stay!)
I'll try to attach a pic of mine to show.

Unless you're using pclips rather than a dedicated screw?

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Thanks guys.

I managed to get them on this time, but attaching the stays to the inside of the forks instead of the outside. It seems to have done the trick but I've attached a photo to show you what I mean. Feel free to point and laugh if I've made a schoolboy error - I am to bike mechanics what Bernard Matthews is to vegetarianism!

002.jpg

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Oops, I've just spotted my own schoolboy error. I've put the bloody front wheel on back-to-front :blush:

Reactions: akb

compo

Veteran
A lot of bike problems become clear if you just take a step back, have a cup of tea and look long enough.

Well done, at least you sorted it.

lejogger

Guru
They're clearly a different design to mine, as the stays are adjustable at the fork end while mine are adjustable at the guard end... which means if you don't saw away the excess it will definitely be in the way.

I say lop the ends off... as long as you're happy you've got the measurements right :smile:

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Cheers all. Went back and lopped the ends off, 'cause I wasn't quite happy with it. Now it all fits nicely - bit of a botch but hey-ho. Calibrated my cycle computer whilst I was at it - now it's ready for it's first commute tomorrow!

Top Bottom