Fitting new cables

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by funk2monk, 11 Apr 2019.

Tags:
  1. funk2monk

funk2monk Active Member

I'm just enquiring the best place to buy new cables to put onto old frames. I'm aware cables need to be cut and fitted but was just thinking is there anywhere that sells reels of the outer casings - which can be cut to length plus new inner cables with cable ends and crimps.
    Ideally looking for grey/white outer cables without too much wording on them.

Thought I'd ask the experts rather than buying something I may regret.

Illaveago likes this.
  2. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-gear-cable-outer-dispenser-box/

raleighnut and funk2monk like this.
  3. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

You'll need a good cutter too. Park Tools stuff is good.

4. carpenter

carpenter Senior Member

Wish I had bought some bulk cable outer when I first started doing up bikes :sad:

funk2monk and Illaveago like this.
  5. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Almost forgot you'll need some ferrules for the cable ends too.
    Grease the cables before inserting them.

6. Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie Guru

And don't forget, when cutting the outers, have an old cable inside - that way you'll lessen the chance of squashing the outer.

7. Are there outer cables more suitable for classic bikes as I find that the modern ones are a different diameter and will not fit cable stops especially with ferrules fitted ? I had a rather exciting experience once when applying a handful of brake to see the outer cable shedding the outer covering and slip through the lever ! :ohmy:

8. OP
    OP
    funk2monk

funk2monk Active Member

Brilliant idea. Oval outers are not ideal to insert cables into......... been there, done that!!!

Illaveago likes this.
  9. further

further Über Member

A Dremel with a cutting disc every time for outers.

Cycleops likes this.
  10. wonderdog

wonderdog Well-Known Member

Bankrupt Bike Parts will sell outer cable by the metre ... good source of the white ribbed stuff that seems ubiquitous on older English bikes. I think someone has already mentioned Clarks as a good brand for different colours. If you want bling, Bengal stuff comes up occasionally on evilBay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice