Fitting new inner cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welshnwobbly

I made two mistakes when removing the old inner cable from my Condor Italia RC bike with Campagnolo Athena 11-speed shifters.
1, I didn't move the shifter down to the lowest level before removing the cable.
2, I did not carefully remove the cable from the shifter noting exactly how it fitted in to the inner device.
I now face two problems.
1, How do I put the new cable back in the shifter correctly? Does it wind around the circular piece at the top and is there a You Tube instruction film which exactly shows how you do this?
2, How do I ensure that the gears are correctly set up for fitting a new cable?
many thanks and happy cycling all,
Welshnwobbly

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's anything like a Shimano shifter it'll be bloomin awkward. Just click the shifter down to the smallest cog position then see if you can see where to feed in the end of the cable.

Edit: slacken off any cable adjusters. Allow the derailleur to move to its outermost position where the spring is slackest. Feed the cable through, holding it as taut as possible before clamping the end. Don't over-tighten the bolt and splay the cable. Take some slack out with an adjuster then move the shifter one click and see if the derailleur begins to move. If it doesn't, tighten the cable more and try again. Once you've got it working fine-tune it with the barrel adjuster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom