Fitting rim tape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
New thread for a new problem with my new tubeless wheels. Hunt very kindly sent me new rim tape to replace the tape I tore when trying to fit new Conti GP5000s.

I removed the old rim tape, cleaned the rim bed with surgical spirit as advised by Hunt's own video. I let it dry.

I have just tried to install the new rim tape, and it just won't stay stuck down. I tried a couple of times before cutting the tape and abandoning because I'm sure I'll exhaust the roll before I figure out why myself.

I tried smoothing out the tape, I pressed it in firm straight off the roll, but to no avail.

Any guidance will be appreciated. I getting seriously frustrated I have nice new wheels and they have been nothing but trouble, and not for any obvious reason and I haven't been able to use them yet.

keithmac

Guru
Can you buy a primer spray of some sort?.

Xenopus

Are you stretching the tape as you apply it? I think that helps. And when you reach the point of overlap, tape sticks to tape better than tape to rim, in my experience.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Giving up. I scrubbed the rimbed with mucoff soap and water last night, rinsed and dried. Applied surgical spirit this morning and left to dry. Still have the same problem. I can't figure it out.

Any mechanics in the Basingstoke/hants/Reading area willing to give it a go for a fee?

vickster

Legendary Member
Giving up. I scrubbed the rimbed with mucoff soap and water last night, rinsed and dried. Applied surgical spirit this morning and left to dry. Still have the same problem. I can't figure it out.

Any mechanics in the Basingstoke/hants/Reading area willing to give it a go for a fee?
Must be a bike shop that does wheel building?

Top Bottom