Fitting Shimano SW-R610 Di2 sprint shifters to Dura Ace R9170 Hydraulic Levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marchaugh

I just received a new S-Works Venge from my insurance company as a replacement for my Venge Vias which got smashed up.
Both bikes have Dura Ace Di2 but on my old one I had sprint shifters but the new one didn't come with any.
I took them off my old bike thinking I could just transfer them across, but when I tried to fit them I noticed the plug on the sprint shifter had a little raised lump stopping it going in the socket. I sanded this off and it fitted in with a click but didn't work.
Can you fit sprint shifters to the R9170 Hydraulic Levers? I read some stuff on the internet saying you can't. But it seems to have a spare port.
If so would I be able to make the SW-R610 sprint shifters I already have work by cutting the plug off the sprint shifter and replace it with it by cutting a spare Di2 cable in half and soldering it together?
Thanks
511841 511842

I just received a new S-Works Venge from my insurance company as a replacement for my Venge Vias which got smashed up.
Both bikes have Dura Ace Di2 but on my old one I had sprint shifters but the new one didn't come with any.
I took them off my old bike thinking I could just transfer them across, but when I tried to fit them I noticed the plug on the sprint shifter had a little raised lump stopping it going in the socket. I sanded this off and it fitted in with a click but didn't work.
Can you fit sprint shifters to the R9170 Hydraulic Levers? I read some stuff on the internet saying you can't. But it seems to have a spare port.
If so would I be able to make the SW-R610 sprint shifters I already have work by cutting the plug off the sprint shifter and replace it with it by cutting a spare Di2 cable in half and soldering it together?
Thanks
View attachment 511841 View attachment 511842
Why don't you check and take the guesswork out of the equation. Shimano has a nice compatibility chart on Shimano Techdocs that will show you what can work with what in the Di2 world. You will need your battery code (model number) because there are some older batteries which aren't compatible with some add-ons.

You will have to set it up through software though. Have you got the App to do it and is your junction box Bluetooth enabled? If not, you'll have to take it to a shop to use the plug in software configurer.

What I can tell you is that unless you are an expert solderer and have a high-quality superfine-tipped soldering iron and a good head loupe, don't even attempt soldering those wires. They are tiny.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

Did have a look at that chart but found it rather confusing. Maybe I looked at the wrong one could you post a link?
I have got a Bluetooth module in my Di2 system and the e tube app on my phone, do you need more than that?
Just so happens that my Dad is an expert solderer and would be able to solder stuff like that without a problem : )

Did have a look at that chart but found it rather confusing. Maybe I looked at the wrong one could you post a link?
I have got a Bluetooth module in my Di2 system and the e tube app on my phone, do you need more than that?
Just so happens that my Dad is an expert solderer and would be able to solder stuff like that without a problem : )
Which chart did you look at? They're simple. Find the Shimano model numbers of your various components and see if the chart links them or not.
Plenty here too.
https://www.google.com/search?q=shimano+di2+compatibility+chart&rlz=1C1GGGE_enZA524ZA571&sxsrf=ALeKk02N5xaygxCWuDSq5UUi_ROlh4BMag:1585755646549&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=PhOZyWK5ln1SHM%3A%2CeHLfNzHt0-5ERM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSQWYcx4bk1itXS8esIe8o2P94FCw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiDio2QyMfoAhX1ZxUIHR3WDLIQ9QEwBXoECAoQJw#imgrc=KQBAF4gELgnOGM

All you need to configure the system yourself is the Bluetooth compatible junction box and the app on your phone. It is easy.

Thanks
View attachment 511841 View attachment 511842
Hi there. just wondering exactly what solution you came up with regarding sprint shifters? Did you get the R610 working or have to go with the Remote Shifter or something entirely different?

OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

Hi there. just wondering exactly what solution you came up with regarding sprint shifters? Did you get the R610 working or have to go with the Remote Shifter or something entirely different?
What I eventually found out was, no the Shimano SW-R610 will not work with the Dura Ace R9170 Hydraulic lever. I tried sanding off the little bumps on the SW-R610 plugs so that they fitted in the shifter ports but it didn't work. It turns out that the SW-R610 is just a simple switch and the brains to make it work are in the old levers, the new R9170 levers don't have these brains.
Sprint shifters that work with the new levers are Shimano SW-R9150 remote satellite shifters.
I got some of these and didn't like how they were so bulky so I removed all of the plastic casing and the got the actual plastic button from my old SW-R610 switches and chobbled them and then glued them onto the SW-R9150 circuit board. I then covered the circuit board in black sticksall to waterproof and protect it.
I've fitted them to my bike and they work great and are nice and slim like the old sprint shifters.

Attachments

• 20200720_200713.jpg
    20200720_200713.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 315

gotri

Hi,
I am attempting to fit longer wires to the SW-R9150. I want to put them on the end of custom aerobar extensions where normal TT shifters won't work.

Can you share what in particular you did to remove the plastic casing? Were you able to pry it apart or something else? I don't want to totally bust the case as I'd hope to reuse the case after soldering on a longer wire. I'm hoping to get some suggestions before attempting because I can tell that damaging the circuit board is *highly* likely if I do it wrong.

What I eventually found out was, no the Shimano SW-R610 will not work with the Dura Ace R9170 Hydraulic lever. I tried sanding off the little bumps on the SW-R610 plugs so that they fitted in the shifter ports but it didn't work. It turns out that the SW-R610 is just a simple switch and the brains to make it work are in the old levers, the new R9170 levers don't have these brains.
Sprint shifters that work with the new levers are Shimano SW-R9150 remote satellite shifters.
I got some of these and didn't like how they were so bulky so I removed all of the plastic casing and the got the actual plastic button from my old SW-R610 switches and chobbled them and then glued them onto the SW-R9150 circuit board. I then covered the circuit board in black sticksall to waterproof and protect it.
I've fitted them to my bike and they work great and are nice and slim like the old sprint shifters.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Marchaugh last on here 100+ days ago, @gotri be aware.

OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

I'm back ^_^
It would be extremely hard if not almost impossible to get the case off without destroying it. It was hard enough getting it off not trying to save it. In the end I actually used a bench grinder and just ground the plastic off.
If I were you I would get a Shimano Di2 cable and just cut the shifter cable somewhere that will be hidden, then cut one end off the new Di2 cable and solder them together and then use some black heart shrink to cover it all up.
I had to join some Di2 cables on my bike and did this and it looked and work fine.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

Hi have the S works 2020 venge my self how did you wire the switches as they are only two ports

I had to do a junction so 2 cables could go into 1 port. I just cut the wires and soldered it but I believe you can buy a junction box if you want to do it 'properly'.

Update on my sprint shifters. One got a bit wet whilst washing my bike and now doesn't work :sad: Obviously wasn't waterproof. If I did it again I would encase it in epoxy.

Top Bottom