Fitting Tyres on MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huggybear0

Über Member
So I finally got the tyre on the rim although it was tight now I cannot get the tyre to fit on the edge of the rim and when I blow up the Inner tube that has presta valves It just looses air. Has anyone got any tips how to get the edge of the tyre out of the centre of the wheel onto the edge of the rim. The rims are ZTR crest 26 inch. The tyres I am trying to fit are Schwalbe rapid Rob.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The inner tube should push the tyre to the edge of the rim. When you say it loses air is it hissing out? If it is you may have ripped the inner tube with a tyre lever when you put the tyre on.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Hi thanks for your reply. Since I am only using a pump I don’t think it is putting enough pressure in and so it leaks back out of the valve.

Did you open the presta valve before connecting the pump?

prestaopenclose.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like you may have pinched the inner tube when putting the tyre on. In future put it on just using your thumbs going up each side untill they meet at the top

Sharky

Guru
What sort of connection does the track pump have? Does it have a dual connector or single? If a single, it might be for the wider schrader valve, in which case you can get a brass adapter for a few pennies.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Sounds like you may have pinched the inner tube when putting the tyre on. In future put it on just using your thumbs going up each side untill they meet at the top
Ok thanks. I will take a look. The tyre was extremely tight to go over the rim.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
What sort of connection does the track pump have? Does it have a dual connector or single? If a single, it might be for the wider schrader valve, in which case you can get a brass adapter for a few pennies.
Hi thanks for your advice it’s a dual so it fits ok. I have 2 hand pumps. I will look at the inner tube when get back home. Like someone said just to check I have not caught it.

Top Bottom