Five a day. Do we have to have so much fruit and veg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes, but if you eat wine gums keep to your recommended weekly units and try not to binge at the weekend.
Surely these must be classed as one of your 5 a day?:scratch:
51YRyi0jx-L.jpg

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
But do you know that for certain? Not wanting to sound like the grim reaper,but being declared fit and healthy doesn't guarantee against poor health in years to come. Having said that,i was a fan of all things green years ago. Green tea,savoy cabbage(like chewing wood)spinach,green beans,mushy peas(still a healthy veg',it's the pie you tend to have with them that's not too good). Then i ended up with cancer. That put an end to my green obsession,as i thought eating green was a protector against the disease,but obviously it isn't.

Edit...and the "super fit" fellow across from where i used to live ate a bulb of garlic a day,ate molasses daily,ate all his advised fruit and veg',ran 5 miles a day,never smoked,drank only a couple of pints of weak beer a day,then suffered a crippling stroke.

Excellent example of dissonance theory...

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Cognitive Dissonance (Leon Festinger) According to cognitive dissonance theory, there is a tendency for individuals to seek consistency among their cognitions (i.e., beliefs, opinions). When there is an inconsistency between attitudes or behaviors (dissonance), something must change to eliminate the dissonance.

Feckin' 'ell,that's heavy stuff!:unsure:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think that the only reason that they made it 5 a day was because it is a lot better than the 0-4 a day that many people eat and many would refuse to eat more than that! It would probably be better to be 10+ a day. I don't measure my intake but it is over 8 most days and sometimes 12+.

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 4970334, member: 9609"]as they say the proof is in the pudding - how is your health Accy ?

I'm lucky in that I just love fruit, always have, I could easily have 20+ portions a day.
I will make a list today - i'm up to a nectarine and an apple already and still haven't had my breakfast.[/QUOTE]

I think too many oranges and high acid fruit can be a problem as can too much potassium from bananas.

Moderation is the key I spose.
That said I may pop round for crumble when I'm passing :okay:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I think too many oranges and high acid fruit can be a problem as can too much potassium from bananas.

Moderation is the key I spose.
That said I may pop round for crumble when I'm passing :okay:
Apparently as a general rule we eat too much sodium (salt, basically) and too little potassium, so eating bananas - and oranges, which are also potassium-rich - is for most people a good idea.

presta

Guru
I get through about 8 a day without trying really.

Five years ago I had a bowel tumour, and as I'm the sort who regards cookery as a chore, I got to thinking that this was payback time. So whilst I was waiting to find out if it was malignant I satisfied my curiosity by putting my diet through a spreadsheet to find out just how bad it really was. When I was done I nearly fell off my chair: it meets most of the healthy eating recommendations by a country mile.

The propaganda is that home cooked is healthy and processed is junk, but once you stop to think, it's obvious that a healthy diet is about what you eat, and not who cooks it. A lot of the reason my diet is healthy is that I don't buy stuff like chocolate, cakes, fizzy drink, fatty food, ready meals etc, not because of cooking everything myself from scratch. For the last year or so I've got into doing a bit more home cooking, and my fat intake has gone up slightly rather than down, probably because of all the olive oil that recipes call for. Last year Dolmio was slated in the media for having too much sugar, and all the foodies quickly came out of the woodwork crowing "I wouldn't be seen dead eating that muck" and "I cook everything myself" etc., but when they started posting their recipes online I pointed out that their own recipes were higher in sugar than the Dolmio.

Food manufacturers are on a hiding to nothing because they have to publish their ingredients when home cooks don't. They're panned for being unhealthy with the fat, and panned for being tasteless without it, but home cooks can put as much fat in as they like and still tell themselves it's healthy because it's home cooked.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not only are we eating enough?,but are we over cooking the veg' we put in casseroles,soups,stews etc? For example,i made a decent green bean,pea,tomato,garlic and Something else which i can't remember :scratch: type of soup/stew the other day. I put the left overs in the fridge. they were there for 3 days,ten i ate the rest of the stuff. Does the "goodness" level diminish when it's been cooked then left for a while?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I get through about 8 a day without trying really.

Five years ago I had a bowel tumour, and as I'm the sort who regards cookery as a chore, I got to thinking that this was payback time. So whilst I was waiting to find out if it was malignant I satisfied my curiosity by putting my diet through a spreadsheet to find out just how bad it really was. When I was done I nearly fell off my chair: it meets most of the healthy eating recommendations by a country mile.

The propaganda is that home cooked is healthy and processed is junk, but once you stop to think, it's obvious that a healthy diet is about what you eat, and not who cooks it. A lot of the reason my diet is healthy is that I don't buy stuff like chocolate, cakes, fizzy drink, fatty food, ready meals etc, not because of cooking everything myself from scratch. For the last year or so I've got into doing a bit more home cooking, and my fat intake has gone up slightly rather than down, probably because of all the olive oil that recipes call for. Last year Dolmio was slated in the media for having too much sugar, and all the foodies quickly came out of the woodwork crowing "I wouldn't be seen dead eating that muck" and "I cook everything myself" etc., but when they started posting their recipes online I pointed out that their own recipes were higher in sugar than the Dolmio.

Food manufacturers are on a hiding to nothing because they have to publish their ingredients when home cooks don't. They're panned for being unhealthy with the fat, and panned for being tasteless without it, but home cooks can put as much fat in as they like and still tell themselves it's healthy because it's home cooked.
There's something in that - I love to cook Delia's kedgeree, which includes 4oz of butter - that's a lot of fat! But Dolmio schmolmio - the food industry is essentially in the business of turning salt, fat and sugar into palatable 'high-value-add' product. They insist that it's ok 'as part of a well -balanced diet', but they know as well as anyone else that it's hardly ever balanced with anything but more junk. Hence the growing epidemic of obesity, diabetes and the rest, and, overall, the first ever upcoming generation that has a lower life-expectancy than its parents.

Read all about it! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salt-Sugar-Fat-Giants-Hooked/dp/0753541475

Top Bottom