Five a day. Do we have to have so much fruit and veg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Just finding five portions, and stuffing them in would be fine, but it seems I rarely have that much fruit and veg lying around
Frozen veg is higher in vitamins than fresh, and it keeps. My evening meals contain 250g, which is over 3 portions for a start.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's good for you

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
"12+"?! :ohmy: Are you counting each individual grape as one of your 5 a day Colin?:whistle:
No, I am adding up what is in my salads etc. I typically eat 3 of these a week ...

Tuna salad.jpg

[QUOTE 4970924, member: 9609"]never heard that word before, i thought for a moment you were on about one of them things ladies of the night wear.

is there a bit of sexy clothing called something similar to brusqe ? - google is letting me down here, or may be I'm going insane.[/QUOTE]
It's a basque. A basque separatist is someone who undresses a person wearing a basque ...

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I try but find it difficult to eat five portions of fruit and vegetables a day. Yesterday i managed just one. I had a banana and not being a fruit fan,it took some effort to eat it. My question is, am i being unhealthy in not having my 5 a day if i eat very little else and that very little else consists mainly of food regarded as being moderately healthy? I could understand if i ate say a fry up,a cheese burger,a whole chocolate cake and other such things in a day,but if i'm eating like i did yesterday,which was two eggs on wholemeal toasted bread,a cheese sandwich(wholemeal bread) a bowl of muesli,three profiteroles in chocolate sauce and a handful of mixed nuts and that one piece of fruit,then by eating not that much,does it matter if i don't have 5 a day? I try and eat a banana,a tangerine and a portion of green beans or broccoli in a day. I aim for 3 a day,but some days i manage just 1 or 2.
Five a day is a bit misleading. The important thing is to have a balanced diet. Plenty of all the important food groups. It doesnt really matter if you don't five a day every day, as long as you've not going for McDonalds to make up for it.

slowwww

Veteran
A GP friend’s view is that eating 5-a day and generally having a healthy lifestyle is not going to save you from the terminal illness that your genetic make-up has made you predisposed to, but it may delay this or lessen the impact of this.

The converse also applies. By having a poor diet and an unhealthy lifestyle you can accelerate the impact of the disease and worsen the impact, and make you more susceptible to other illnesses.

The real pain is that it takes much longer for the benefit of a newly-healthy lifestyle to deliver an improvement on your ‘chances’ of survival than a lurch into unhealthyness takes to increase your chances of early onset of the illness. But then we knew that life isn’t fair!

JoshM

A GP friend’s view is that eating 5-a day and generally having a healthy lifestyle is not going to save you from the terminal illness that your genetic make-up has made you predisposed to, but it may delay this or lessen the impact of this.

The converse also applies. By having a poor diet and an unhealthy lifestyle you can accelerate the impact of the disease and worsen the impact, and make you more susceptible to other illnesses.

The real pain is that it takes much longer for the benefit of a newly-healthy lifestyle to deliver an improvement on your ‘chances’ of survival than a lurch into unhealthyness takes to increase your chances of early onset of the illness. But then we knew that life isn’t fair!

Do people eat in a healthy way because they'll live longer? I eat 'properly' because I feel better if I do, and because eating properly fuels my lifestyle making it possible to ride my bike, swim, run, hill walk, and work full time without being too exhausted.

subaqua

What’s the point
Hops are plants . Hops go in beer therefore beer is liquid vegetable.

Apples make cider

Pears make cider

Strawberries and limes make cider.

There's 5 a day easy .....

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It doesnt really matter if you don't five a day every day, as long as you've not going for McDonalds to make up for it.
This is what i thought. So you only need 5 a day if you eat a load of crap that wants counteracting with healthy stuff. If you don't eat the crap stuff, you have no need to eat 5 a day, as not much needs counteracting?

Tin Pot

Guru
This is what i thought. So you only need 5 a day if you eat a load of crap that wants counteracting with healthy stuff. If you don't eat the crap stuff, you have no need to eat 5 a day, as not much needs counteracting?

No, not at all.

Food doesn't work like that.

Top Bottom