Five a day. Do we have to have so much fruit and veg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 4971254, member: 9609"]My daily count so far
5 Apples
3 Nectarines
4 Oranges
3 Bananas
approx 250g Blackberries off the bush.

I have also had half a Blackberry Tart, which is made out of blackberry Jam (so I don't know if that counts).
And I also have 250g of Blackberries for my pudding later on, so not sure if that counts either.[/QUOTE]
YATheVeryHungryCaterpillarAICMfive pieces of cherry pie.

Oxo

Guru
Do people eat in a healthy way because they'll live longer? I eat 'properly' because I feel better if I do, and because eating properly fuels my lifestyle making it possible to ride my bike, swim, run, hill walk, and work full time without being too exhausted.
Think I can safely aim for 4 a day, I don't do that work thingy.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
5 Apples
3 Nectarines
4 Oranges
3 Bananas

I have also had half a Blackberry Tart, which is made out of blackberry Jam (so I don't know if that counts).
And I also have 250g of Blackberries for my pudding later on, so not sure if that counts either.

Thought I would show off the blackberry tart my wife made, It was absolutely delicious, I'm trying real hard to keep the other half for the morrow.
View attachment 375407
Seriously - this would have won the 'Bake Off' TV thing[/QUOTE]
That's Five, not sixteen. I have no clue why you are "not allowed" the same item twice. That's why I think there is very little science in it other than getting a good mix of vitamins and a nice bit of fibre insides us to keep things on the move, and or to move things out that might be clinging on for days.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
5 Apples
3 Nectarines
4 Oranges
3 Bananas

And I also have 250g of Blackberries for my pudding later on, so not sure if that counts either.
[/QUOTE]
Too much fructose in your diet can be detrimental to your health.
Look it up.;)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Five pints of cider a day counts right?
I think scrumpy is ok. I've had pints of the stuff and my farts smell of apples,which must mean i'm getting one of my 5 a day..:whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't be bothered to trawl through the thread but did do a little research earlier and found that the 5-a-day translated to about 400 grams of fruit and veg. The fruit should ideally come from whole fruit NOT juice and eat both fruit AND veg. Pick a nice mixture of colours because that is likely to give different vitamins etc. Potatoes don't count, but a portion of sweet potato does.

I just spent 3 days eating other people's meals plus LOTS of party snacks. It made me feel sluggish and tired. I'm looking forward to getting back to my usual 8-12-a-day now I am back in Yorkshire!

slowwww

Veteran
I just spent 3 days eating other people's meals plus LOTS of party snacks. It made me feel sluggish and tired. I'm looking forward to getting back to my usual 8-12-a-day now I am back in Yorkshire!

You felt sluggish and tired. The people whose food you ate must have felt much worse, they must have been starving after 3 days with no food!

ColinJ

You felt sluggish and tired. The people whose food you ate must have felt much worse, they must have been starving after 3 days with no food!
I did eat rather a lot of it! :laugh:

Why doesn't somebody invent moreish party food which is actually good for you? (I made 2 huge bowls of salad but only about half was eaten. The huge pile of samosas, sausage rolls, pakoras etc. almost disappeared. As for the cheesecake, trifle and chocolate cake ... :whistle:)

MarkF

Guru

I'm the same, holidays or Xmas and my body is soon crying out for real food. Fruit, veg, salad, all my favourite foods and I get plenty every day. I like to think my healthy diet offsets my unhealthy beer intake. :smile:

ColinJ

I'm the same, holidays or Xmas and my body is soon crying out for real food. Fruit, veg, salad, all my favourite foods and I get plenty every day. I like to think my healthy diet offsets my unhealthy beer intake. :smile:
I used to think the same about the beer, but the extra weight it piled on me was a big factor in my close encounter with the grim reaper; I chose life! No beer (or any other alcohol) for over 5 years now.

Top Bottom