Five a day. Do we have to have so much fruit and veg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have no trouble eating five a day. I take several pieces of fruit to work every day, plus fruit on my cereal for brecky. I do most of the cooking and always include at least two portions of fresh cooked veg. Steamed, not boiled to oblivion. It is easier in the summer months to eat fresh fruit and veg as it is plentiful in the shops, but Autumn is here and there will be some lovely variations of cabbage/brassicus and root vegetables to choose from.
There is a type of fruit to suit everyone's taste buds, you just have to experiment a bit to find out what you like.

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 4974137, member: 259"]Have you ever considered going on Twitter?[/QUOTE]

Four pieces of fruit already today! I had no idea I was capable of this!

I'm thankful to my family for standing by me during this period of my life.

presta

Guru
That and putting a couple of hundred cc of water in them and then, with the mouthpiece open, microwaving on full for five minutes or so. It becomes its own autoclave.
That sounds like a good recipe for getting scalded.

presta

Guru
You don't get in the microwave with it.
Microwaves can superheat the water, you run the risk of it boiling explosively in your face when you open the microwave and touch the container. I've never superheated water, but I did with a hard boiled egg once. Having taken it out of the microwave and placed it on the worktop, I stuck a fork in it, and BANG!! I instantly redecorated the kitchen with scrambled egg. All up the wall, the ceiling, the cupboards, the floor, my jumper. And egg on face too.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
So you don't do any of that. You let the steam kill germs for a few minutes, and then you let it cool for a bit before touching it.
If the water becomes superheated there won't be any steam, and if the people you're recommending it to aren't aware of the danger they're likely to get scalded. When people see the water hasn't boiled the normal reaction is to give it a bit longer, thereby increasing the risk.

Today I had porridge with strawberries, black grapes and a table spoon of ground flax seed.

Lunch consisted of a BIG bowl of home made fruit salad consisting of sliced watermelon, honeydew melon, pineapple, blackberries, defrosted plums, nectarine and pear with a large dollop of soya yoghurt.

My dinner tonight I will have home made chilli, which has two onions, one bulb of garlic, three sticks of celery, three carrots, a liberal dose of frozen peas, sweetcorn, two cups of red lentils, one tin of red kidney beans, one tin of black beans, a jar of passata, one tin of chopped tomatoes, one tablespoon of smoked paprika and about ten chillis. This will last me for about three or four days and I eat it with Brown Basmati rice and a bowl of salad of various veg and salad leaves.

No idea how many portions of fruit and veg I eat a day, but I have a sneaking suspicion its adequate ^_^

Last edited:

presta

Guru
In addition to non-veg, yesterday I had:
carrot 50g
banana 120g
apple 130g
aubergine 60g
courgette 65g
onion 50g
soya 80g
tomato 200g

Total 755g, 9.4 portions

Last edited:

presta

Guru
No idea, perhaps you could ask the manufacturer.
I guess so, seeing as I have never had a problem.
Well that's the point then isn't it. They have ensured the product they are selling is safe, but anyone who follows your recommendation might heat water in a container that has no nucleation points and end up getting scalded.

Top Bottom