Five Touring Myths Exposed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not normally a fan of videos I watched this one and thought it useful for any dreamers out there (with some interesting shots for everyone else).

The 5 myths are:
The need to be fit
The need for best/lightest/most modern bike and gear
Every day is fantastic
Danger is everywhere
Bad hygiene kills

Best of all they are using my (new) tent! ^_^

View: https://youtu.be/L5_pVhnDJIE

So what myths have you busted?
Or more importantly, what's holding you back from busting them?

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
That you don't need to carry your house with you:wacko:

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
That you don't need to carry your house with you:wacko:

I do prefer the have everything just in case approach myself.

Two contrasting approaches and I tend to favour the second.

But there's layers to the issue of what, and specifically, how much to bring.

A weekend away I can bring just enough oatmeal, coffee, toothpaste, soap etc for two days. A longer trip? I'm going to need more. A really long trip and I'm going to be adding half a kilo of this and half a kilo of that when something runs out.

A weekend away I can pack for the forecast. A longer trip and that is more difficult.

A short trip and it's quick and easy to research where I'm staying so can leave that chair or stove behind. On a longer trip I wouldn't be without them.

One myth I've well and truly busted is that bike touring is about big distances and long days. It's my tour, my rules. ^_^

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some nice pictures of where they were.

Not something I have any desire to do myself, but I do like to read about and see pics of this kind of expedition. I'll stick to the occasional night in a B&B (with a shower) ;)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I like how he says you don’t need expensive bike/kit and yet has a well moulded Brooks saddle in the background. Some things are a must.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The last 'tour' of any distance I did carrying a tent, cooking stove, etc was twenty years ago. The one thing we didn't have was bikes. Just 17kg rucksacks - a couple of weeks in Corsica. In general terms I prefer a credit card to a tent.

All uphill

Still rolling along
That it must involve hardship and misery.

Before I did my four mini-tours (to date) I had the strong impression that touring was about big miles through snow, ice and baking sun chased by wolves and assaulted by hostile local people before spending nights with venomous spiders in a leaky tent.

My version is moderate miles between bed and breakfasts, lots of snacks and sight-seeing all taken at a leisurely pace. I've been so pleasantly surprised by the pleasant people I have met. I admit I have been rained on, but didn't melt once.

I love it!

Top Bottom