Fix My Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Just raising the profile of this useful site/app, as I was asked at the weekend about how was the best way to get a problem fixed on a cycle path.

Fix My Street allows you to report problems in your area, and then it is passed to the appropriate people in your local council. It has the advantage that others can see what has already been reported. I've used it many a time with success including reporting leaves on the cycle path needing clearing, removing a fence on a blind corner, and getting a bollard in a park removed (it was always laid down on the ground therefore a trip hazard, without any markings or lit in the dark).

If it's a pot hole I use the alternative CTC site Fill that Hole

Latest sucess:
I reported a badly positioned sign which blocked the view to see if it was safe to cross a multi-lane road, and I've just been notified it will be raised up in the New Year.
image.jpg

potsy

Rambler
How long did it take to get a response?
I reported something 3 weeks ago and so far have only had the automated reply email.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
How long did it take to get a response?
I reported something 3 weeks ago and so far have only had the automated reply email.
That photo was taken last Wednesday I think, I'd been meaning to report it for ages, so that response was within a week, and the previous one about gravel from a developer spread onto a cycle path on a bend/bottom of hill was also acted on within a week. Things like removing the bollard or fence took a lot longer. I guess it is down to the reaction time of the department you send it to and what it entails.

The leaves on the cycle path (just the other side of that photo), they didn't initially act on, and just sent a message to say that they were generally clearing leaves, and in the meantime someone updated my report to say that they actually came off the day after just at the point I reported it.

I've just remembered that I have a failure to get a light fixed so far and that's after a couple of months.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I had a similar experience @User14044 It's much easier to report everything in one place rather than having to remember which council to contact.

Newcastle City Council took less than 5 days to repair the pothole I'd reported - and some nearby at the same time. I was happy enough with that response.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I had a similar experience @User14044 It's much easier to report everything in one place rather than having to remember which council to contact.
Also, FixMyStreet is a damn sight easier to use than the shoot provided by most councils and if it's public, then it's harder for a council to deny it was reported, should that be relevant.

Which reminds me... I've a few things to report that I spotted on today's ride.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Reported a pothole (failed previous repair) in Halifax using Fix My Street a week or so ago and it was filled in within 2 days, which is great.
The "repair" has failed again though, so I'll have to report it once more...
Unfortunately I reported 3 adjoining street lights not working further along the A58 last month and they're all still out, despite the council advising they aim to repair within 7 working days. To my mind the street lights (effectively an unlit section of 40mph single carriageway, on a downhill bend and prone to flooding / standing water) are a bigger threat to road users than the pothole (well lit 30mph road with high grip surface)

However, I can't report faults in my home council area (Leeds) via Fix My Street as they "don't accept notifications for highway defects from them"...

classic33

Leg End Member
Reported a pothole (failed previous repair) in Halifax using Fix My Street a week or so ago and it was filled in within 2 days, which is great.
The "repair" has failed again though, so I'll have to report it once more...
Unfortunately I reported 3 adjoining street lights not working further along the A58 last month and they're all still out, despite the council advising they aim to repair within 7 working days. To my mind the street lights (effectively an unlit section of 40mph single carriageway, on a downhill bend and prone to flooding / standing water) are a bigger threat to road users than the pothole (well lit 30mph road with high grip surface)

However, I can't report faults in my home council area (Leeds) via Fix My Street as they "don't accept notifications for highway defects from them"...
Any cold weather between reporting, fixing and noticing it was loose again.
The "Rhino Patching" used isn't the best. Possibly the cheapest though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That shouldn't stand up. Councils shouldn't be able to ignore reports from a service set up with central government funding. Could you report the nobbers to the local government ombudsman? www.WriteToThem.com to let your councillor have a try first if you're feeling generous.

potsy

Rambler
Tried another report today for a different problem (poor road surface/potholes) and got this response, let's see what happens.

Thank you for reporting this to us. An officer will attend and decide what
action is required within 5 working days. The officer will contact you if a
decision is made that no repair is required. If a repair is necessary it
will be carried out within 20 days.

Top Bottom