1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed and cross?

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Number14, 27 Jul 2007.

1. Number14

Number14 Senior Member

I'm going to have a go at cyclo-cross and want to try it on my fixed. What's the best gear for a fairly flat course? I'm currently running 48/16 but that is probably too high.

2. Big T

Big T Über Member

I wouldn't like to ride a cross on a fixey and I'm not sure it's even allowed??

However, grass track racers tend to use a gear of around 60-64" (in old money) - I think thats around a 48/22. That would be the sort of gear that you'd need. It's much harder riding on grass than you'd think.

3. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

63 gear inches has a certain following.

Specialized are releasing a Fixed cyclocrosser next year, so i guess there must be something in it

4. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

5. i know that i was just saying its a nice bike.

why if cross riders are running 48, 22ish why would spec put one out there 42, 18. whan there langster is 42, 16???

6. Zoiders

Zoiders New Member

I think the Spesh crosser is intended as a SS when used for cross

Fixed for road perhaps, not for cross, you want to be able to lay it down onto the corners with out pedal strikes