fixed bikes and brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
why would you need a rear brake ? its a fixed gear you are riding.
As long as you wont slam the front brake whilst at your top speed, front brake is safe and enough. No need for rear imo.

I rarely touch my rear brake when riding fixed in London. But in the Marches where I spend most of my time, it is a blessing.

It's easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy to write on a forum how simple it is to stop a fixed-gear safely and quickly from 35mph on a steep descent while spinning at 160+.

Doing it is rather more difficult.

Dan B

Disengaged member
It's easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy to write on a forum how simple it is to stop a fixed-gear safely and quickly from 35mph on a steep descent while spinning at 160+.
For you maybe it is but personally I'd want my hands on the bars. I suppose you could use dictation software

Gaijin

Regular
There are not that many hills in central London where I spend most of my time. But I did encounter a few hills in Warren Woods. Having a rear brake would definately help, although I managed without it and lived to tell the tale.It took more concentration on spinning.

But if OP is planning to ride on hilly area then rr is the way to go. (But I do belive that he lives on a relatively flat land)

simon.r

Person
I've about 300 miles on mine now, so still very much on a learning curve.

I find there's rarely a ride when I don't use both brakes. My ususal route includes a junction that you need to slow down for as you approach it, at the bottom of a long-ish hill. I can hit 30mph down the hill and I'd need to start slowing a long way before the junction if I was relying on leg power only! I'm definitely getting better at leg braking, but I doubt I'll ever get to the point where my legs are as effective as two bits of rubber squeezing the rim. I'm wary of using too much front brake - as a kid I threw too many motorbikes down the road by using too much front brake:rolleyes:

I followed (while driving) a youth riding a brakeless fixed gear through Nottingham a few days ago and while he was obviously fairly skilled, he was relying too much on his positioning and other vehicles doing what he thought they were going to do for my liking.

Top Bottom