Fixed Crank Set Dilemma (offshoot)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Fine, but not great?

There seems to be a big gap between the sub £100 products like this, and then the £250+ products like the Dura Ace and Campag Record. Unless I'm missing something?

Also, PlanetX / On One are selling a matching Stronglight sealed BB for a bargainous £10. What advantages might I get from something in the £50-100 bottom bracket err bracket? There's a big jump again after that into the £200+ titanium etc area, but these don't appear to be much lighter.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Them Miche n Stronglight are fantastic for the money. Id get a bog standard Shimano square tapered bottom bracket £10-£15 to go with it.

Unless you want something extra special or looking to shave seconds of a TT ?

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Unless you want something extra special or looking to shave seconds of a TT ?

It's this kind of thing I could do with finding out - does a fancier BB mean a noticeably smoother ride and lower maintainance, or is it kind of like you are suggesting - paying 1000% more to get 0.001% faster?

It's this kind of thing I could do with finding out - does a fancier BB mean a noticeably smoother ride and lower maintainance, or is it kind of like you are suggesting - paying 1000% more to get 0.001% faster?
I have always gone for the UN54 and having read some and seen some of the failure stories for external BB's it doesnt seem like spending more dosh is a step forward.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
UN54 on mine - used every day, all weather - 2.5 years old.

Miche are great.

FFS Are you not listening. If you want the best get C Record or Dura Ace !

Miche, Stronglight and the on-ones are the benchmark chainsets - middle of the road and nice !

You won't notice any difference with BB's - the UN54 is quite well sealed, but a bit stiff to turn due to the seals - smooth and spins for ages when a crankset is attached. You want long life on a regular use bike.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I dont understand the issue re Miche, I run Miche Advanced cranks and chainrings with a Tifosi BB, Mavic Ellipse wheels (which have a non-conventional track chainline) and a Shimano Dura-Ace sproket, all is good.

If you are going on the track, 165mm cranks will ensure you wont have any issues, but its not particularly essential. Manchester spec says 165mm cranks and an 11" BB height or something like that (working off the top of my head here, havent read the reg's for a long time). But I know for a fact that people run different crank lengths in different events. Pursuit riders often run longer cranks for example, presumably to help them get their gear turning over asap out of the gate.

Top Bottom