Fixed Crank Set Dilemma (offshoot)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Thought I'd be better off starting my own thread than diverting al-fresco's thread, so here goes.

So before Christmas I bought a Dolan Track Champion frame second hand with the intention of building a nice, lightweight fixed road bike which I might have a go on the track with, too.

I've got the impression that a good starting point to work out what additional parts I need is the crankset - from there I can work out what my chainline will be and thus what bottom bracket and
then sprocket I should get to suit and what to be mindful of when choosing wheels.

My experience looking so far has led me on some long and fruitless paths. Find one set that look nice, then after looking and looking discover they are unsuitable, too expensive, too heavy or there's some major flaw with them.

I guess I'm after something fairly midrange/upper-midrange - I want something that performs well and is nice to ride, but can also handle a bit of weather and amateurish maintenance. I'm unlikely to ever try track riding seriously competitively so I don't think I need to be splashing out £300 on a Dura Ace crankset, especially if I need to spend another £100 a year on new chainrings - and conversely I don't want to spend £35 on budget stuff to find it gives me a bike no lighter and better to ride than my steel hack-fixed commuter.

Other stuff I've looked at also seems to limit what other parts I can get. For example, it seems if you get Miche anything, then you have to get miche everything else, and while say Miche cranksets are alright, their sprocket fittings and bottom brackets are crap. Similar with Sugino, and while I hear their bottom brackets are good, I'm not sure they make british-style fitting BBs that my frame requires.

Any suggestions? Only definite criteria I've established so far is that I'm probably going to run 48/17 (unless anyone thinks there's a better way to achieve the same ratio), I won't (well, can't) run a rear brake so it'll need to be capable of withstanding the forces involved in leg braking / skidding. Oh and it would be nice if it's not entirely silver - some black would be nice ;)

Well, until I got to the part of your post about Miche, I was going to suggest them as that is what I have on my bike. but since you have already discarded them I won't.

tyred

Legendary Member
Have a look at the range of Sturmey Archer track chainsets. I fitted one on my Carlton and it's a decent, quality piece of kit for the money.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Well, until I got to the part of your post about Miche, I was going to suggest them as that is what I have on my bike. but since you have already discarded them I won't.

Only from what I've heard, happy to be told otherwise.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Have a look at the range of Sturmey Archer track chainsets. I fitted one on my Carlton and it's a decent, quality piece of kit for the money.

I have a SA FCT48 on my 3-speed, and it appears to be swaged. Also, at 768g they seem to be somewhat on the heavy side - e.g. I've seen £30 Stronglight cranks that are 450g, although the SRAM Omnium's which are supposed to be super-fancy are almost 850g. Not sure what the trade off is there.

Only from what I've heard, happy to be told otherwise.

So far no problems, but I havn't had it on very long ( < 6mth )

As initially built, the bike came with an ISIS BB & cranks.
When the first ISIS BB went, I replaced with a Crank Bros Cobalt ISIS, this disintegrated on me and I replaced with another one under warranty.
When I needed to change the chainring through wear, since I was also having problems with the LH crank staying on I decided I wanted to get a square taper BB & chainset.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
This is the sort of thing I've got. Definitely not swaged.
Nice looking chainset, but if I were the OP I would check with the seller (allegedly it is the famous/infamous Dave Hinde) to confirm the 480g weight as advertised. It looks like a SA FCT series crank and on SA's website none is anywhere near that weight...

I did a bit of research when I needed a single chainset recently. To cut a long story short I found the Stronglight 55 about as light as you can get, they are standard equipment on Bromptons (typically in large to compensate for small wheels), and cheap enough to make chainring replacement irrelevant. I bought one, but I am not using it on a fixed so any specific concern regarding the arm/ring interface is also irrelevant to me.

The OP however might be interested to know that in my search I figured a potentially fairly economical option to achieve nearly the same weight is to use a light vintage Campag or DA square tapered double (650g is not uncommon) and ditch the large (say 100g) ring. An advantage of getting a Campag one would be that it is much easier/cheaper to get a light ISO bb than a light JIS bb, and that could make another 100g difference roughly.

Hope it helps.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
This is the sort of thing I've got. Definitely not swaged.

Just been out to look at mine and you are quite right! It is indeed not swaged.

They are somewhat on the heavy side, though. I'd be quite happy to pay £100+ if it'll get me something better.

tyred

Legendary Member
Personally, I'll only worry about an additional few hundred grams on the chainset when I don't have an additional few stone around my belly....

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Stronglight make good kit. Campag make some super light track rings that will last for years and years. I got a campag track ring getting on for 15 year old

I not sure though I think you can't use anything longer than 165mm on track ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stronglight is fine. The ones on mine are a generic set, mostly sold by on-one over here - normal 144 track BCD and I've put a Miche Advanced chainring on.

Miche chainsets are fine. You don't have to use Miche sprockets with it - any track sprocket is fine.

Top Bottom