Fixed Gear Bike.. buy in London or Sydney???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bruce_M

Hi Guys..

I'm moving to Sydney in 2 months. But I want to buy another bike..

1) Should I buy in London or are prices cheaper in Sydney? (my company will pay for shipping my bike to Sydney if I buy here)

2) Any fixed gear bike recommendations? single speed with flip flop hub so I can still coast when lazy.

Thanks a lot in advance.

RedBike

I've aboslutly no idea of the prices of bikes in sydney but anything 'fixie' seems cost a premium here at the moment thanks to all you Londons turning it into a craze.

Another thought is you might be able to use the cycle to work scheme here whereas I doubt Sydney has such a scheme.

No recommendations from me. You can't seem to go far wrong with On-one or Surley.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Depending on how "flamboyant" you are feeling
Maybe wait 'till you get to OZ and get one of these...
Sexybicycles

sexy-bicycles.jpg

g00se

Veteran
The current exchange rate is a killer - Eg. A loaf of bread is about £3 (that's an example of prices - not a suggestion to ship over baked goods)!

However, bikes prices, I think, I based against the US price, so the comparison might not be too bad. Have you checked online Oz shops to see the prices?

Its not Sydney but this bike shop (bike now) was right opposite my hotel; I'd hired a road bike from them a couple of times and browsed a lot; they were a fair size and well stocked.

Edit The only fixie I seen on their site was the Giant Bowery ($799, I think that's £460) a quick look of UK price (Google Shopping) prices seem quite similar £445-£550 for a 2010 model. For a potential saving of £15 IMO its not worth buying it in the UK it just an extra item to lug about. That's just one example though, Do look around before coming to a decision.

OP
OP
Bruce_M

Bruce_M

HLaB said:
Its not Sydney but this bike shop (bike now) was right opposite my hotel; I'd hired a road bike from them a couple of times and browsed a lot; they were a fair size and well stocked.

Edit The only fixie I seen on their site was the Giant Bowery ($799, I think that's £460) a quick look of UK price (Google Shopping) prices seem quite similar £445-£550 for a 2010 model. For a potential saving of £15 IMO its not worth buying it in the UK it just an extra item to lug about. That's just one example though, Do look around before coming to a decision.

Thanks. The Giant Bowery was one which I was looking at. Decent price plus it has a flip flop hub, although the reviews are not all that.

I don't mind getting an older model, any other suggestions. Preferrably something around £330 or lower

thanks

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Fuji Track, slap a brake on it to make it road legal!

Cheap as they come, Ive put about 700-800 miles on one so far, and bar a bit of chain stretch (as to be expected) it is perfecto.

Top Bottom