Fixed Gear Climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ivegotabike

Well-Known Member
I did an experiment on Zwift by holding constant power but dropping the cadence, I was surprised to find that as I dropped the cadence my heart rate dropped - I must be some kind off freak I suppose because surely that goes against current thinking 🤔 maybe thats just how my body has adapted ?!

What current thinking are you referring to? I'd be interested to read it.

As others have already posted, holding the same power at a reduced cadence can result in a lower HR too.

There are limits IME. My normal cadence is 90. At power c.85% FTP, reducing cadence to 85, maybe even 80, will reduce HR.

If the cadence goes below 80, the (my) HR does not fall further.
 

N0bodyOfTheGoat

Ăśber Member
Location
Hampshire, UK
I did an experiment on Zwift by holding constant power but dropping the cadence, I was surprised to find that as I dropped the cadence my heart rate dropped - I must be some kind off freak I suppose because surely that goes against current thinking 🤔 maybe thats just how my body has adapted ?!

Lowering heart rate with lowering cadence is exactly what I'd expect.
 
Top Bottom