Fixed gear / ss group riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I am of course up for this as usual TF, and have no problem with a ride that is stated for "Fixed / Single Speed only" and would prefer it. Personally I would ban single speeds as well and keep it just fixed. :okay:

As one of the ones involved in the start of the Single Speed Suffolk rides based locally in Felixstowe we often meet out on a pub ride (as mentioned above by @JimboJames1972) and will often have geared bikes come out as well, these rides are often run in conjunction with Felixstowe District cycle club. We did recently have a ride that was posted as "100 mile fixed / SS only" which seemed to cause a real issue with someone in FDCC who only rides gears and it got into a quite ugly argument on facebook as he though it was too inclusive. I did try and argue the point that from time to time some rides by FDCC are stated as being "Tempo" which realistically means unless you average 20 plus you are going to be dropped and left. As I cannot average these speeds over the distance covered then inturn that effectively means I am being excluded but he failed to get the point.:banghead:

To be honest I think he had been drinking given the time of night however he eventually got over himself....

As @mcshroom mentions above I would agree that when riding fixed I prefer and find it easier and keep together in a similar pace with a group of fixed / ss over a distance and imho it it is harder for the group to stay together with geared riders. In my experience what I find normally happens is that once a geared rider takes their turn at the front they up their pace and the group gets fragmented.

Last edited:
Top Bottom