Fixed in snow and ice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
As I haven't a suitable bike set up to deal with this weather I could fix mend my MTB or am I best putting knobbly tyres on my fixed for next years few days of winter?

I did put a back brake on it in readiness but it's got wheel trouble and have been on gears for a week so haven't but wonder what you do when it's like this?

stay in!!!

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I didn't get chance to properly practise falling off in these conditions last year on any bike and can't cadge a lift anymore very easily.

GrasB

Veteran
I, personally, would repair the MTB or put knobly(ish) tyres on the geared bike as I prefer a freewheel on ice/snow. The reason is if the rear slips when pedalling I stop my feet moving, on a geared bike this lets the rear wheel spin at road speed, where on a fixed I just lock the rear wheel...
or paraphrased; spin, skid, :smile:

PS. the more aggressive 700x32c cyclocross tyres are rather good on snow, ice however is a different matter.

dudi

I've not had a chance to get out on the bike since the first snow started to lay.

I will be out on my way to work in the morning, but won't be taking my fixed (700x23 tyres and ice are a no go).

Instead I will be taking my singlespeed hybrid (700x38) for a more surefooted ride...

Christopher

Über Member
hi longers
How about CX studdies on fixed, rear tyre gets a good grip on ice/snow and recovers well when it does lose traction, it doesn't lead to rear-wheel-sliding-out like my geared commuter did. Also there's no rear mech to ice up, the geared commuter used to have that problem too.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Hi Frustruck,

I was out on gears today and got very clagged up.

Yep, I would need to sort out the mudguards to take the tyres but the frame has got loads of clearance for that. I've been happy enough on it in the not so cold snaps we've had previously. There's someone somewhere riding the same bike on a regular commute in Sweden so have asked him his thoughts about it.

It's also the cheaper option to go fixed than singlespeed, I've got the tyres it came with brand new and the MTB has been part cannibalised.

Or I could singlespeed the MTB instead. :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd be tempted by something like the Marathon Winter tyre, and maybe a hub gear, on the MTB. I wouldn't fancy not being able to coast on a treacherous surface.

Christopher

Über Member
I trust fixed more than gears on gravelly or icy surfaces. I might be wrong but it feels like there's more grip with the former. Although on Thursday night there was zero grip with the fixed when I hit a patch of black ice and fell off (no damage, I was going at about 4 mph)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Frustruck said:
I trust fixed more than gears on gravelly or icy surfaces. I might be wrong but it feels like there's more grip with the former. Although on Thursday night there was zero grip with the fixed when I hit a patch of black ice and fell off (no damage, I was going at about 4 mph)

my understanding was that, unless sporting studded tyres, your best chance with ice was to lay off the power and try to hold a straight line.

irontam

Still commuting on fixed (700x28) through the sleet/snow/ice.

I was going to swap for my MTB, but I twisted the rear rim last trip to Glentress and haven't had a chance to true it yet.

What I do need is a pair of (cheap) goggles, last night I couldn't see a thing.

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't ride anything else but fixed through the winter, I find them better when its slippery. I find I have more control and I can regulate my speed better. Legs and a touch of back brake is better when I want to stop in slippery conditions than using a front brake and risking a face plant.

irontam

irontam said:
Still commuting on fixed (700x28) through the sleet/snow/ice.

Pride cometh before a fall (literally!)

Came a-cropper on sheet ice on the way home; no damage to anything 'cept my ego. ;)

CORRECTION: ...and minor whiplash where I knocked my noggin on the tarmac.

Madcyclist

I'm still commuting on my sole fixed wheel bike, i agree with an earlier post that it offers far more control at slower speeds. My commute this morning was just under an hour rather than my normal 32-34 minutes but I walked the bike home for the last 3.5 miles this evening. The snow was heavy settling on the road with the cars nose to tail it was quicker walking. I couldn't help smiling all the way, nice and warm getting a mixture of smiles and astonished faces from the car drivers.

If it doesn't ease much tonight I'll be on the bus tomorrow, it will be only the third working day this year I haven't cycled it !!

Top Bottom