Fixed seven inner tubes this evening!

Pete

As someone who prefers to 'replace' rather than to 'patch' whilst on the road, I tend to build up a big backlog of inners waiting to be 'fixed'. So I had a blitz today. I bet some of you can beat that number though: so what's the most any of you have patched at one sitting?! Now feeling a wee bit queazy what with all the rubber solution fumes (should have done it outdoors, I know, I know!).

Tested them all after patching - just as well since the last one still leaks! ;) Damned 'snakebites'! Or maybe I just didn't get the patch on straight...

purpleR

Veteran
I say, give yourself a pat on the back and some sort of lovely treat for doing that. It's a nice feeling to mend things- and it's good to get a chore out of the way as well!

Fix mine at the end of the week if I have any to fix. I think I have 4 patched about the tool cupboard.

I don't like using patched my self as they say it can lead to problems if the tyres get hot, I give emm away if I know anyone hasn't got anew spare.

barq

That's quite a few Pete! My effort was slightly different... I fixed the same tube about six or seven times in one sitting. I thought it just had one p*ncture - which is after all the norm. So I patched it, and then watched as the tube deflated again. I found and patched another p*uncture, yet still the tube deflated. I know it sounds silly and most people would have thrown out the tube, but towards the end I'd done so much patching that it turned into a real mission! ;)

In retrospect I realised that it p*nctured as I was coming down a trail and because I couldn't stop immediately, the rim damaged the tube in half a dozen other places.

Melvil

You make me feel ashamed...I have now subscribed to the 'if it's flat, chuck it out, put a new one in' school of puncture repair!

bonj2

Melvil said:
You make me feel ashamed...I have now subscribed to the 'if it's flat, chuck it out, put a new one in' school of puncture repair!
I've been of that school of thought ever since I noticed that most 'punctures' I got from patched tubes were due to air coming out from beneath the patch.
Once I had a blitz on one particular tube, it got ridiculous after a bit with about 7 patches over the top of each other, and a big bulge in the middle where air was building up but couldn't quite get out because the patches were stretching but still holding out. Bugger this, i thought - they're only a few quid*, might aswell just stick a new one in.

*which reminds me wilko's are selling inner tubes for £2... i got the last one this morning in my local store

chris42

Melvil said:

I do that if it's out on the road. If I find them at home I'll fix them eventually

hambones

I repaired 6 yesterday (3 road, 3 mtb) with the help of my 6 year old boy who then asked if he could get a needle and make some more holes because it was such fun fixing them!

Tetedelacourse

I went to fix one last night but it turned out to be an old wound that had reopened, so I flung it across the garage and put a new tube in. I did stick a patch on to the inside of the tyre wall though as it has a weakness and someone told me that might be a good move. I now only have one patch left and no spare tube for today's ride home. The scene is set...

Top Bottom