Fixed seven inner tubes this evening!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

As someone who prefers to 'replace' rather than to 'patch' whilst on the road, I tend to build up a big backlog of inners waiting to be 'fixed'. So I had a blitz today. I bet some of you can beat that number though: so what's the most any of you have patched at one sitting?! Now feeling a wee bit queazy what with all the rubber solution fumes (should have done it outdoors, I know, I know!).

Tested them all after patching - just as well since the last one still leaks! ;) Damned 'snakebites'! Or maybe I just didn't get the patch on straight...

purpleR

Guru
I say, give yourself a pat on the back and some sort of lovely treat for doing that. It's a nice feeling to mend things- and it's good to get a chore out of the way as well!

Fix mine at the end of the week if I have any to fix. I think I have 4 patched about the tool cupboard.

I don't like using patched my self as they say it can lead to problems if the tyres get hot, I give emm away if I know anyone hasn't got anew spare.

barq

That's quite a few Pete! My effort was slightly different... I fixed the same tube about six or seven times in one sitting. I thought it just had one p*ncture - which is after all the norm. So I patched it, and then watched as the tube deflated again. I found and patched another p*uncture, yet still the tube deflated. I know it sounds silly and most people would have thrown out the tube, but towards the end I'd done so much patching that it turned into a real mission! ;)

In retrospect I realised that it p*nctured as I was coming down a trail and because I couldn't stop immediately, the rim damaged the tube in half a dozen other places.

Melvil

You make me feel ashamed...I have now subscribed to the 'if it's flat, chuck it out, put a new one in' school of puncture repair!

bonj2

Melvil said:
You make me feel ashamed...I have now subscribed to the 'if it's flat, chuck it out, put a new one in' school of puncture repair!

I've been of that school of thought ever since I noticed that most 'punctures' I got from patched tubes were due to air coming out from beneath the patch.
Once I had a blitz on one particular tube, it got ridiculous after a bit with about 7 patches over the top of each other, and a big bulge in the middle where air was building up but couldn't quite get out because the patches were stretching but still holding out. Bugger this, i thought - they're only a few quid*, might aswell just stick a new one in.

*which reminds me wilko's are selling inner tubes for £2... i got the last one this morning in my local store

chris42

Melvil said:

I do that if it's out on the road. If I find them at home I'll fix them eventually

hambones

I repaired 6 yesterday (3 road, 3 mtb) with the help of my 6 year old boy who then asked if he could get a needle and make some more holes because it was such fun fixing them!

Tetedelacourse

I went to fix one last night but it turned out to be an old wound that had reopened, so I flung it across the garage and put a new tube in. I did stick a patch on to the inside of the tyre wall though as it has a weakness and someone told me that might be a good move. I now only have one patch left and no spare tube for today's ride home. The scene is set...

Top Bottom