fixed ss conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my daughter has taken a fancy to my old '58 carlton fixie and, as she really wants a frame with thin tubing (thus ruling out any mainstream bike built in the last 15 years), i've decided to let her have it, to get her cycling again as much as anything else.

i'm going to have to make it a bit more user-friendly, so i'll be making it single speed rather than fixed, and i'll also be upgrading the brakes (including adding cross brakes to the tops) and, of course, putting a ladies' saddle on.

other than consumables, anything else i should have thought of?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Gosh you are a good Dad. :biggrin: What a nice bike ! I assume this is one of the older daughters. :whistle:

Drop the gearing ratio ? :becool: Won't the brookes be OK ?

The other thing is looking for 531/653 etc etc on ebay but they fetch stupid money.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it's not that old '51 claud butler you've seen foss, just another one that i acquired through the club as a more 'everyday' fixie. dd in question is 13, so i guess i'll have to look for a 23 tooth freewheel sprocket…

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
You don't have to be clipped in to ride fixed.

with the hills around here, it's advisable on the descents…

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
totted up what's needed and it comes to about £160 :ohmy: (sourced variously from ebay, usual online retailers and lbs) and the 22 tooth sprocket looks huge.

stripped the bike down so she'd better not come home with a change of mind :rolleyes:

Top Bottom