Fixie sprocket / single speed freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boly

Regular
I plan to add a single speed freewheel to the flip flop hub of my fixie just in case I need it.
I presently run on 18 tooth sprocket and have no option but to add an 18 tooth freewheel because I have little horizontal clearance to vary the tension on my chain via the drop out length.
I am trying to ensure that the circumference of both the sprocket and the freewheel is identical. I was recently told that it wasn't ? I fail to understand how 18x32 teeth can be spread across circumferences of different sizes and allow both of them to engage with a 3/32 chain.
I hope these ramblings make sense? My fixie sprocket is 18 tooth and 77mm across between the peaks of the teeth.

OP
OP
B

Boly

Regular
I plan to add a single speed freewheel to the flip flop hub of my fixie just in case I need it.
I presently run on 18 tooth sprocket and have no option but to add an 18 tooth freewheel because I have little horizontal clearance to vary the tension on my chain via the drop out length.
I am trying to ensure that the circumference of both the sprocket and the freewheel is identical. I was recently told that it wasn't ? I fail to understand how 18x32 teeth can be spread across circumferences of different sizes and allow both of them to engage with a 3/32 chain.
I hope these ramblings make sense? My fixie sprocket is 18 tooth and 77mm across between the peaks of the teeth.
Sorry, thank you!
Bob

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The chainline probably won't be the same - maybe that's what they meant. Get the fixed side right and let the freewheel side look after itself.

Top Bottom