Fixie tyres??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulwho100

I have finally learnt to skid on my fixie but unfortunately I have gone though 2 tyres in one week so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good cheapish long lasting fixie tyres.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Skids, fixies. Wrong forum mate. :smile:

I ain't doing skids on my £35 a shot 4 Seasons..:tongue:

TBH the Halo coloured tyres seem to be the ones to do that on.

Do a skid mate :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Brakeless = skids in me gruds.

Not as young and fearless as I once was.

My old man has admitted having a fixie (this isnt a new term) wihout brakes etc as a young lad. Only found this out recently despite me riding since I was 16 at club level, and had a fixed road bike for 4 years. Things let slip after a few ales.I am 43 now and mine isnt a fixie, its a fixed gear road bike, it isnt cool, just fast. :biggrin:

SS Retro

If you can skid your fixie good effort! As said halo twin rial couriers can be had for around £15 a pop.
261.jpg

Seriously...

Pat yourself on the back for being able to skid-stop your bicycle and now fit some rear brakes.

In my middle-aged mind, as I pad around in brogues and cords, sucking on an imaginary pipe, I see skid-stopping fixophile hip-hops much as I see those ASBOys in their Saxos with drainpipe tailpipes, screeching away from the lights in Peckham.

By all means ride your fixie with panache and ferocity, but unless you are twelve or younger and riding on the bomb debris, skidding lacks a little dignity.

Now... I wanted to read the leader in the Telegraph... Iris, the toast in this rack seems a little cool. Be a darling and bring me some more, would you?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Skidding isn't hard. What it is though, is useless! You stop faster if you don't skid.

However, if you insist on skidding around town, you should also be looking at your gearing if looking to increase tyre life! Different gearing combinations will give different numbers of skid patches, the more skid patches, the longer the tyres will last since you won't be constantly skidding on the same couple of sections of tyre.

I read the following on a site selling those Halo Courier tyres...

"Adding to the successful launch of Halo into the Fixie and Courier market. Halo have decided to develop a specific tyre for that market; High quality casing with a good value steel bead and extra thick tread featuring the Halo patented Twin Rail design format. Fitted with an anti-puncture strip for added durability out on the mean streets. Easy to skid
120 Tpi casing
Steel Bead (economic)
Anti-puncture strip"

Surely the term 'easy to skid' is a euphemism for 'lacks grip'.

And doesn't the term 'economic' mean 'built down to a price'.

So why are they so (relatively) expensive?

Does anybody use these for anything other than urban pootling?

Top Bottom