Fixie tyres??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Skidding is a pointless method of stopping:
1. The friction is higher between road and tyre just before the tyre skids. That means you can stop more quickly if you avoid locking up the wheel.
2. You'll also retain the gyroscopic effect that keeps you upright.
3. Deliberately wearing away rubber is just wasteful and harms the environment.

Tim Hall

Skidding is a pointless method of stopping:
1. The friction is higher between road and tyre just before the tyre skids. That means you can stop more quickly if you avoid locking up the wheel.
2. You'll also retain the gyroscopic effect that keeps you upright.
3. Deliberately wearing away rubber is just wasteful and harms the environment.

Gyroscopic effect has very little to do with staying upright. See (a) trackstands (b) people doing skid stops (c) experiments with counter rotating wheels.

Linky

D

Deleted member 20519

I guess nobody here has ever heard about having fun.

D

Deleted member 20519

It won't remain fun for long when you run out of Starbucks money because you ****ed it all away on tyres from doing fixie skidderrrzzzzz infront of the local girls grammar school all day.

That's right, only hipsters skid. You keep believing that...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I guess nobody here has ever heard about having fun.
Have a stack of fun on my fixed most days, take Sunday... 100km in one go, went up and over the South Downs twice, heading north first time and south - ouch - second time and didn't skid once. It was so much fun I wrote a poem about it afterwards.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That's right, only hipsters skid. You keep believing that...

Here are a few very accurate and not at all fabricated facts:

99% of people skidding about on fixies are hipsters.
<5% of fixie riding hipsters can actually skid, because 95% of hipsters legs are too puny for it.
Your response is about are ironic as the shirt worn by the hipster that serves me coffee when I pop by Starbucks on my fixie.
I may have misused the words "few" and "ironic" in this post.

D

Deleted member 20519

I like skidding on my road bike. I'm not a hipster, I just find it amusing and I enjoy having fun.

I like skidding on my road bike. I'm not a hipster, I just find it amusing and I enjoy having fun.

Well sir,

Here is your handcart. Hell is that way. You'll probably be taking the rest of us with you.

I fell very, very let down and more than a little sad.

As I type this, I look like Herbert Lom conteplating a route march with a painful corn on his foot.

It is you who has done this to me.

I hope you can sleep at night.

On reflection, I don't.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ok, I confess to sometimes deliberately locking up my rear wheel on the geared road going bikes, just for the craic like, and the adolescent thrill.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Hipsters always say that, they were hip before anyone else had even heard of hip, but they are with it and roll with the times, now hip is no longer hip, they are something else, I think they now go by pawn shop pussies or something or other. But actually, they are still just hipsters.

D

Deleted member 20519

Hipsters always say that, they were hip before anyone else had even heard of hip, but they are with it and roll with the times, now hip is no longer hip, they are something else, I think they now go by pawn shop pussies or something or other. But actually, they are still just hipsters.

:wacko:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sorry, it was thrift shop sissies, must get the terminology right else they will conspire against me and deny me my Espresso fix! Or even worse, they may sprinkle cinnamon on my Cappuccino!

Top Bottom