Fixies: what is the appeal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I rode a geared bike today. My 'cross bike, as I changed the setup a bit and wanted to check it out before racing tomorrow.

Bloody rained. No 'guards, wet arse.

I missed the fixed, riding that in the rain is better. You need to slow down- you can start to do it straight away, no waiting for the brakes to bite. Never noticed before now.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
STOP IT,STOP IT !!!! I've dropped hints,corrupted the kids and left catalogues around but i am still getting the look of "no chance" from the boss ! Maybe next year i will get one.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
skudupnorth said:
STOP IT,STOP IT !!!! I've dropped hints,corrupted the kids and left catalogues around but i am still getting the look of "no chance" from the boss ! Maybe next year i will get one.

Get a cheap steel frame with horizontal drop outs and make your own for a fraction of the cost :sad:

Now just about to start building my 2nd fixed :biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I used to ride what Sean Kelly called 'the nicest bike I ever rode' - a Vitus 979. I swore by it. I loved it. I still have it. But I haven't been on it in *months*. Ever since I bought and converted an old Dawes 653 frame 'Omega' with a paintjob like vomit. (£53 - and I could probably get half of that back if I stuck all the bits I took off on ebay.)

Yesterday I rode in to work on my 'wet weather' hybrid - itself a very nice bit o' kit - a Koga Miyata that would have been upwards of a grand new. God it felt sluggish. Sooooo good to be back on the fixie this morning.

The difference between a decent fixie and even a good geared bike is on a par with the difference between a good geared bike and a bad geared bike. If you don't believe me, try it. But be warned...there's no going back. (Unless you're bonj - 'nuff said.)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
4F said:
Get a cheap steel frame with horizontal drop outs and make your own for a fraction of the cost :biggrin:

Now just about to start building my 2nd fixed :thumbsup:

Thats the next plan.I guess the wheels are either off the shelf jobbies or convert the spare set of 700c's i have in the garage to a single/fixed rear cog.What about main crank and chain ? anything special i need to know ? Really fancy a go at it.

skudupnorth said:
Thats the next plan.I guess the wheels are either off the shelf jobbies or convert the spare set of 700c's i have in the garage to a single/fixed rear cog.What about main crank and chain ? anything special i need to know ? Really fancy a go at it.

Stick with the same length cranks you are used to, but in any case not longer than 175mm. The choice of a 1/8th or 3/32 chain is up to you. I've used both and as long as your chainring and sprocket match the chain then all will be smooth. The most important bit to get right with fixed is to ensure a good chainline from chainring to sprocket.
Word of warning and it's been said many times before, if you have other bikes, be prepared to neglect them. Riding fixed is a lot like marmite.

GrasB

Veteran
skudupnorth, if you can fit on a frame that will take 650C wheels do it. I can't impress on you how much easier it is to climb & accelerate with 49:15 & 650x23 (79") tyres compared to 50:17 & 700x23 (77") of the same model.

Top Bottom