Fixies: what is the appeal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Joe24 said:
Oh, not man enough to just be fixed then

is there a correlation between fixed cogs/screw-on freewheels and genitals?
Is this why my partner (female) rides a singlespeed and I (male) ride a fixed?

Thanks for the help with my h'education Joe!

trio25

Über Member
I'm thinking of getting a fixed for the winter, I ride a singlespeed mountain bike so it seems silly to be going all my commuting miles on gears, which do need more maintaince. Just have to persuade the OH I need a new bike!

RedBike

ed_o_brain said:
is there a correlation between fixed cogs/screw-on freewheels and genitals?
Is this why my partner (female) rides a singlespeed and I (male) ride a fixed?

Thanks for the help with my h'education Joe!

This is probably why i've gone back to single speed.
Cadences of 150rpm + scare the **** out of me down some of the hills.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
irontam said:
...the ethos is mainly recycle recycle recycle. Both my past fixies have been elderly road bikes retro-fitted with a handful of second hand parts (and usually painted badly by me)...

Yes, I agree ( except it's 'fixed', not 'fixie' :rolleyes: ).

Uphill is okay until it's a struggle, then you change to the 24" gear (don't worry, every fixed-wheel has one).

Downhill, just bloody pedal. I get through far fewer brake blocks on fixed.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
trio25 said:
So any recommendations for a fixed wheel bike that takes mudguards and is cheap?

Find a nice 70s or early 80s frame and build it up. Then you have a proper fixed-wheel.

RedBike

trio25 said:
So any recommendations for a fixed wheel bike that takes mudguards and is cheap?

Go for the Langster, which I know you can get cheap, and use the new crud guards. Although apparently the standard sks guards do fit (although they're a tight fit).

trio25

Über Member
I can never find old bikes small enough for me.

Langster is what I am thinking, but have to find some money first, getting so little work at the moment its a problem!

RedBike

You're always busy Trio.

If I had any money I would seriously think about hiring you for the day. it's the only way i'm ever going to get a Trio Adventure in this year!

I think you need Three new fixies. A road going one and two track bikes!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I wish i had never joined this site !!! Now i want a fixed/single speed bike,they sound fun !!!! Just dropped the hint to the "Boss" and all i got back was why do you need another bike LOL

Norm

There's a small part of me that understands this.

The part which loves a basic manual camera, with film and without batteries. Don't get me wrong, the all-singing, all-dancing, digital auto everything is fantastic but, damn me, there's immense satisfaction in heading out with something that makes you stop and think before pushing the button.

Similarly, the fixie forces you to partake, to be a part of it all the time, not to be able or allowed to cruise or switch to auto-pilot.

Then again, maybe that's just me. ;)

GrasB

Veteran
A fixie in someways is a non-verbal personal trainer. It will just keep having a go at you to press on because that's all it can do. As I said before, there's this irrepressible but obtainable rhythm you get into with the bike which lets you climb faster & go for that bit longer.

Top Bottom